No announcement yet.

What it's like to fight Manny Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it's like to fight Manny Pacquiao

An interview with David Diaz; I know it's an NSB thread, and I can't stand to here about Pacqiao or Mayweather any longer. But, I thought this was interesting.

Then the bell rang. I’ve honestly never fought anybody like that before in my life. I faced some pretty fast guys in the amateurs, like Zab Judah for example, but nobody with Pacquiao’s combination of speed and accuracy. Most fast fighters just throw a lot of punches without worrying about whether they all land; Manny isn’t like that. He hits you with one shot, and then the next shot is coming right behind it, and that one lands too. It’s just unbelievable.

And his defense was better than I expected too. He never stayed in one spot. I’d have to go chase him down all the time. I wanted to get him in the corner or get him on the ropes, but he was very elusive.

I would compare the experience of fighting Pacquiao to getting caught in a hail storm. You know how hail comes down really hard and fast? It won’t knock you out, but it’s annoying and it’s just hitting you all the time and there’s nothing you can do about it. That’s how I felt fighting Pacquiao. His punches aren’t necessarily hurting you, but you’re caught in a hail storm and you’re just like, “Man, where the hell is it coming from?” If I tried to keep my right hand up to block the left hand, then I left the other side open and he just kept finding ways to hit me.

Of course, he did knock me out, so I can’t claim that none of his punches were hard. As they say, the punch that knocks you out is always the one you don’t see coming. Well, I literally did not see that punch coming. I tried to get away from his jab and I turned my face, and when I came back — BOOM! I walked into his left hand. I definitely lost consciousness for a moment. I just remember being like, Whoa, what happened? I tried getting up, and the ref said, “No, no, stay there.” And I’m like, “All right, cool.”

Hey, there’s no shame for me in losing that fight. I was in there with a super-human force that night. Pacquiao was awesome, and I take my hat off to him.

nice read

he sounds like a very gracious man.

Comment

That was a real good fight! Didn't Diaz beat Margarito for that belt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Rizzle View Post
        nice read

It's pretty admirable that he can speak so highly of him. Thats not usually the case. Though, JMM has been giving him a lot of respect leading up to this weekend even though he believes he won the first two fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Growth View Post
          That was a real good fight! Didn't Diaz beat Margarito for that belt?
          He beat Erik Morales for the belt he lost to Pac

Comment

Nice

Makes a change from "He's good, but i had an off night.....my preparation could have been better.......it was the refs fault....etc etc"

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
              Nice

Makes a change from "He's good, but i had an off night.....my preparation could have been better.......it was the refs fault....etc etc"
              Isn't it though?
              What you mentioned was the type of response I expected when I read the interview. I'm a little tired of reading about Pacquiao, but I was glad this one was done.

Comment

Nice read.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Diaz seems like a cool dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Rizzle View Post
                    nice read

talking highly of pac was part of the deal when he added an extra 200k to his 800k purse to make it a million payday.

Comment

Working...
                    X