Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hell Yeah! The Two Handed Great Sword!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Hell Yeah! The Two Handed Great Sword!

I love how the guy prances at 3:52 just to pop a balloon. lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZ...ailpage#t=232s

Lol, boots with meat in them

"If you're strong enough to wield a great sword, it's an enormous advantage in any fight!"

"you put one of these in your front door and you're gonna be a power to recon with. Nobody is gonna be able to take advantage of you..."
    Last edited by Prostitroop; 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neurophobe View Post
      I love how the guy prances at 3:52 just to pop a balloon. lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZ...ailpage#t=232s

Lol, boots with meat in them

"If you're strong enough to wield a great sword, it's an enormous advantage in any fight!"

"you put one of these in your front door and you're gonna be a power to recon with. Nobody is gonna be able to take advantage of you..."
      tbh nowadays men in general have gone downhill. Imagine wearing a full suit of armour while wielding that 6 foot 2 handed sword for perhaps a 5 hour battle. I doubt many men could do that and survive

Comment

Originally posted by Xercen View Post
        tbh nowadays men in general have gone downhill. Imagine wearing a full suit of armour while wielding that 6 foot 2 handed sword for perhaps a 5 hour battle. I doubt many men could do that and survive
        I would guess that most combat soldiers could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xercen View Post
          Actually, the men of today could very easily handle full plate of armor and weild a double handed sword like that because they are about twice the size of men in those days. Also, the Japanese Katana > than any sword made in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
            Actually, the men of today could very easily handle full plate of armor and weild a double handed sword like that because they are about twice the size of men in those days.
            You can see the size difference by looking at bona fide suits of armour. The average size was smaller, but nobles were well fed and tended to be pretty big. Henry VIII was a massive fooker. 6'3!

Also, the Japanese Katana > than any sword made in Europe.
            Disagree. The perfect sword was designed at the same time that improvements in small arms made it obsolete and was similar to a cross between a heavy cavalry sword and a light cavalry sword. Perfect balance, curved for cutting, could be used for thrusting and could be wielded with one hand.

Similarly the perfect sailing ship was designed at the same time as steam outstripped sail in terms of efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              You can see the size difference by looking at bona fide suits of armour. The average size was smaller, but nobles were well fed and tended to be pretty big. Henry VIII was a massive fooker. 6'3!

Disagree. The perfect sword was designed at the same time that improvements in small arms made it obsolete and was similar to a cross between a heavy cavalry sword and a light cavalry sword. Perfect balance, curved for cutting, could be used for thrusting and could be wielded with one hand.

Similarly the perfect sailing ship was designed at the same time as steam outstripped sail in terms of efficiency.
              Yes but 6'3 in todays world is nothing really. Men could very easily handle swords of the day and suits of armor. Henry the VIII was fat because of a lavish lifestyle.

the katana was by far superior made. Spanish had the best steel but the design of the katana is something that cannot be duplicated. it could be used with one or two hands as effectively, was lighter, stronger and the blade was sharper than anything Europe could produce because of the way it was forged. The damn blade was folded thousands of times....lol

don't get me wrong there are some great and legendary european swords but the katana's weight, craftsmanship and cutting ability I think was superior.

Comment

What happens when great sword vs great sword?

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
                  Yes but 6'3 in todays world is nothing really. Men could very easily handle swords of the day and suits of armor. Henry the VIII was fat because of a lavish lifestyle.
                  6'3 is well above average height, Henry VIII would be a big man in any era. And don't be fooled by the fat-Henry paintings that you think of when you envisage the uxoricidal King. In his youth he was an avid and enthusiastic tourney fighter, excelling in the melee. He got fat as he got old and fell afoul of several ulcers in his leg.

the katana was by far superior made. Spanish had the best steel but the design of the katana is something that cannot be duplicated. it could be used with one or two hands as effectively, was lighter, stronger and the blade was sharper than anything Europe could produce because of the way it was forged. The damn blade was folded thousands of times....lol
                  Katanas are strong and flexible but I think you're getting your eras confused. The perfect swords were developed at the time that breech loading rifles were being mass-produced thus rendering them obsolete. We're talking late 19th century. Granted the gunpowder age was late coming to Japan as the use of handguns was all but outlawed by the traditionalist Samurai.

Trivia question: The Samurai were one of two social classes allowed to possess swords in Feudal Japan. What was the other?

don't get me wrong there are some great and legendary european swords but the katana's weight, craftsmanship and cutting ability I think was superior.
                  The katana was designed for a certain type of fighting. You wouldn't get far in a duel with one against someone armed with a rapier and it's an inefficient cavalry weapon.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                    Katanas are strong and flexible but I think you're getting your eras confused. The perfect swords were developed at the time that breech loading rifles were being mass-produced thus rendering them obsolete. We're talking late 19th century. Granted the gunpowder age was late coming to Japan as the use of handguns was all but outlawed by the traditionalist Samurai.

Trivia question: The Samurai were one of two social classes allowed to possess swords in Feudal Japan. What was the other?
                    Don't know, good question.

The katana was designed for a certain type of fighting. You wouldn't get far in a duel with one against someone armed with a rapier and it's an inefficient cavalry weapon.
                    This is true, a thrusting sword was definitely more capable in a duel but the Japanese had swords for that as well. A samurai would not be caught without his Wakisashi or Tanto that were both used for stabbing or thrusting.

Comment

Working...
                    X