No announcement yet.

Training to become pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training to become pro

Hey all. I'm 15 years old, and I'm getting real serious about boxing. In Japan, we take a pro test starting from 17 years old, so until then I'm thinking of quitting school soon (when 1st qurter ends) and go straight into the world of boxing and train hard, and get enough experience to prepare myself as well as changing my gym because my gym don't participate in any fights. Thing is, I'm not quite sure if the training I'm doing is making me qualified for making me into a professional. This is what I do everyday at my gym:

Stretch 2~3 R
    Shadow Box w/out wraps and work on footwork 5~10 rounds
    Jumprope 3~5R
    Shadow Box w/ wraps 5~10 R
    Heavy Bag 2~3 R
    Pad Work 1R (I usually did 2 but I had to take it easy due to a past injury. Will get on to 2~3R in September)
    Heavy Bag 5~10 R
    Reflex Bag 2 R
    Speedbag 3~4 R
    Ab workout (sometimes, usually do it at a nearby gym) 30 min
    Stretch 2~3 R

This takes me 1~2 hours, 3 at the MAX. I wake up early and started running again (started off with 3 miles) since I substituted my running for swimming for a while, I kind of lost my rhythm on my roadwork, but I'll get that back soon. That was my original workout routine, but the gym's ORIGINAL schedule for the people who want to be pro follows as,

Stretch 2~3 R
    Jump rope 2~3 R
    Shadow Boxing 3~5 R
    Sandbag 5~10 R
    Pad work 2~3 R
    Shadow Boxing 2~3 R
    JUmp rope 2~3 R
    Stretch 2~3 R

I'm not sure if my routine is enough, as I do not do any sparrings. As a matter of fact I never sparred before, I only did a "simulation" of a spar if you catch my drift. You spar but you don't hit the opponent. Mass boxing, I think you call it?

If anyone who is working to become pro, are your workout routines focused on spars? Also, it would be nice if I could know your workout routines as well.

On boxing off days, I go to the gym and weightlift and swim, usually that takes 2 hours.

Sparring is KEY to becoming a good boxer. You won't get far without it. You can have the perfect technique on the focus mitts, but if you don't know whats it is like to be in the ring and getting hit in the face, it is useless.

Why become pro right away? I would suggest picking up at least 20 amateur fights if possible and winning them all before even thinking about being a pro boxer.

Also and perhaps the most important thing. Do NOT quit school. Education is so important, because you need to have something to fall back on. It should be no problem managing your time between school work and boxing.
    Last edited by ChowAce; 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.

Comment

^ What he said, dont quit school. Its not even about if you are good pro or not, everyone gets old eventually and when that happens it will probably be fun to know how to multiply ;p.

ps you gotta spar, its so much fun and it helps you alot lol.

Comment

Thanks guys, the thing is i want to make boxing my career, and yes, you're right i do have to think about the time i retire. i cant box all my life anyways. my plan is to change the gym to a bigger one maybe this December if possible, and i'd like to take the pro test at 17 years old. i know a gym that has an american trainer, so it'll be easier for me (i can't speak much japanese although im full japanese :P) to go there and train. after i graduate high school i'll get a part time job and focus on boxing and try to win my fights. is this a good plan?

Comment

Take it from somebody who has been there and done that, finish your schooling. You have no amatuer experience (I'm assuming) and plan to earn a living being a pro fighter, I don't mean to burst your bubble but chances are that you will make far less fighting than you would even a minimum wage job when it's all said and done.

I had a good amatuer background, at a time they tell me that I was one of the top amatuers in the state. I turned pro and was fighting on television right from my first pro bout. Alot of things can happen, in the ring and in your life in general. Being a fighter is the toughest road you will ever see.

Stay in the amatuers man, get that experience and if you're beating all of the amatuers around you then consider fighting pro. The pro game is no joke and you could be seriously injured if you don't have the experience or have somebody trust worthy handling your career. I had both when I was rolling and its still a tough road.

Whatever you do finish atleast your highschool education and better yet get a college education.

And what does this pro test consist of.........Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 08-23-2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rockin', that was a very helpful reply. I guess going to a college with a boxing club isn't a bad idea? and the pro test consists of, a paper test (just basic stuff... like how many rounds are there in boxing and qs like that) and two rounds of sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
              Thanks Rockin', that was a very helpful reply. I guess going to a college with a boxing club isn't a bad idea? and the pro test consists of, a paper test (just basic stuff... like how many rounds are there in boxing and qs like that) and two rounds of sparring.
              definitely not enough...sparring is the key as mentioned before in this thread...and like rockin' said shadow box the way you fight as it is the same way you'll fight for real...other than that not bad, with your drive and determinatioin you will succeed...just gotta believe and be willing to do the work...

Comment

Don't quite school. There's no rush. You're young. Just work hard, and be sure to spar.

Comment

but the thing i wonder, is that am i able to become a good fighter with only dedication and guts? i do have dedication, however alot of fighters i know didnt even finish high school. even my coach :-/ there are alot of people who is younger than me and is training without going to school though.

Comment

I have another question for you moneymayforever, what does your family (parents) think about this?

Comment

Working...
                    X