No announcement yet.

Went To The OKC Fights Last Night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went To The OKC Fights Last Night

Very nice event. Everyone was into the fights. Nice atmosphere. Early you had Richard Dawson making his pro debut and (I thought) stopping Ryan Lopez in seconds but Im looking on boxrec right now and they have it listed as a no contest. Dawson is trained by Allan Green's old trainer. It was funny because the opening bell rung, Lopez came out extending his arm to touch gloves while

Dawson caught him with an overhand right and maybe another follow up punch which dropped Lopez who couldnt continue. "Protect yourself at all times". He didnt do anything wrong as you arent supposed to touch gloves until before the 12th. They called it a KO in the ring but I did see the ref talking to each corner afterwards. Still, I thought they scored it a KO so I have to find out about that one.

Later, Lydell Rhodes fought. If that name sounds familiar, he is the dude that jumped in the ring to light Charlie Z up after he suckered punch Floyd Senior. Speaking of which, Senior was there. Rhodes made a big entrance, getting dropped off in a Helicopter with Santa Clause. He was fighting a Southpaw which is always dangerous but still scored a 2nd round KO. Dude is very explosive. Senior was cool. I got a pic with him and so did the people with me. Grady Brewer was also at the event and I think he fights next week.

The Main Event was a great fight between Carson Jones & Ricardo Williams. This fight was for the USBA Welterweight title and you could tell that both guys really wanted it. Williams the former Olympic star who HBO tried to builed up along with Panchito Bojado back in the day but both of those guys failed miserably. Williams getting into drugs and getting incarcerated. Still, he's made a nice comeback recenetly and his skills have never been in question.

At the same time Jones has been on a great run lately, beating some nice names and this fight he thinks earns him a world title shot next year. Slick Ricky came out early showing that skill that allowed him to win a Silver Medal in the Olympics. He had his people there from Cincy going crazy and being loud. Jones really impressed as he came back and showed mad skill. He's been looking crazy good lately and this fight was no exception. Definitely have to keep your eye on him.

Williams was outboxing him early but Jones started applying more & more pressure which you could see was clearly starting to take an effect. He eventually dropped him 3 times before Steve Smoger(yes that Steve Smoger, who is my favorite ref in all of boxing) haulted the belt in the 4th round. It was just a nice night with a nice crowd and a good card

Word man, was probably a great Thursday night.

Sad to see Ricardo Williams like this. Guy had so much potential.

Good for Carson Jones though, he's gonna get a decent fight soon. He's in the mold of the Grady Brewer's of the world.

Comment

OKC as in Oklahoma City

Comment

Oklahoma, big ups!

Comment

Working...
        X