No announcement yet.

prospects who became nothing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    david reid become world champion and made 3 defences of his title, he had a super fight with trinidad, he does not belong on this list
    i would say you could argue either way. yeah he won the wba belt and defended it, he beat kevin kelly, but he also lost to sam hill by tko who has a current record of 17-11.(this may have been because of the eye though) my whole point was that he didnt live up to his superstar potential. BUT, i see your point as being valid as well. BTW do you actually own that fight poster in your avatar. if you do, i would love to get a hold of a print of it.

p.s. i will also note that there is alot of criticism from his management for allowing him to face a veteran like Trinidad in his 12th professional fight. this may be the reason he never made it to superstardom
    Last edited by Bigdaddy_Vh; 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Alot of title winners made the list here. When I tend to think of prospects that failed, I think of prospects that are highly regarded and get bumped off along the way. To me the of the guys named, once they won a title they woud be eliminated from "prospects who became nothing" list.

Olympians like Andrew Maynard, Anthony Hembrick and Hugh "buttons" Kearny are more like it. Recent failures like Tokunbo Olajide and Cuban Jorge Luis Gonzalez. Gonzalez himself beat Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe in the amateurs and made it 23-0 as a prospect. After that Gonzalez went 8-8 in his next 16. Audley Harrison is also a prime example!

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        Tony Ayala Jr., I've heard that Bernard Mays was a very good prospect out of Kronk but had bad drinking problems that derailed his career. Tyrell Biggs never lived up to his hype. Ike Ibeabuchi etc. etc. Boxing is full of prospects who never lived up to expectations.
        Forgot about Ayala. Some people still think he could have been the greatest ever. I personally think that's ridiculous. He could have been good, but he was too hittable, and was too much of a slugger to really be great.

Comment

Ike Ibeabuchi was like Ayala in alot of ways, bright future and a chance to make some good money. He messed up and never reached the top.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Forgot about Ayala. Some people still think he could have been the greatest ever. I personally think that's ridiculous. He could have been good, but he was too hittable, and was too much of a slugger to really be great.
            Yeah, he wouldn't have been that great but I think he would've been a titlist for sure, the guy had very good skills and showed great fire in the ring, sometimes too much. But yeah, his defense was not the best, especially for right hands over the top, he used to rely on rolling with them, didn't always work out.

Comment

[QUOTE=BennyST;7121244]Pavlik and Hatton? I don't think so.

They both became good world champions.

and Obama was Nobel prize, and???
              you can see the list of world champions and you be surprised how many deadweights there.

Hatton always failed on important occasions except with tszyu, you can tell me what does it mean??

Pavlik was probably one of the most promising fighters of the last years and however their most important performances, for me ,were Miranda and the first with Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Pavlik and Hatton? I don't think so.

They both became good world champions.

Tyrone Trice. He was meant to be the next Tommy Hearns in the Kronk gym but got knocked out by the 'journeyman' Freddie Pendleton in the first round. He had huge expectations.

Steve McCrory was another with very high hopes. The brother of world champ Milton McCrory. Won the USA amateur championships twice and also won gold at the Olympics in '84. His first big shot was against Jeff Fenech when he was an unbeaten prospect and Fenech was also a young prospect who had only just won his first title with about ten fights. Unfortunately he got dominated and knocked out in fourteen rounds. Great fight though. He never really attained much after that though.
                [QUOTE=Slimey Limey;7121250]None of these were epic fails. Do your homework.

and Obama was Nobel prize, and???
                you can see the list of world champions and you be surprised how many deadweights there.

Hatton always failed on important occasions except with tszyu, you can tell me what does it mean??

Pavlik was probably one of the most promising fighters of the last years and however their most important performances, for me ,were Miranda and the first with Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Alot of title winners made the list here. When I tend to think of prospects that failed, I think of prospects that are highly regarded and get bumped off along the way. To me the of the guys named, once they won a title they woud be eliminated from "prospects who became nothing" list.

Olympians like Andrew Maynard, Anthony Hembrick and Hugh "buttons" Kearny are more like it. Recent failures like Tokunbo Olajide and Cuban Jorge Luis Gonzalez. Gonzalez himself beat Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe in the amateurs and made it 23-0 as a prospect. After that Gonzalez went 8-8 in his next 16. Audley Harrison is also a prime example!
                  After Gonzalez got exposed by Riddick Bowe, he became a punching bag.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoboy View Post
                    Edison Miranda
                    Kelly Pavlik
                    ricky Hatton

betwen others......
                    Well, if that's the case, you might as well include Mike Tyson to the list. But I think the OP was thinking about talents who never made it, not people who self-destructed like Tyson or Wilfred Benitez or numerous others who didn't live up to their potentional.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                      Well, if that's the case, you might as well include Mike Tyson to the list. But I think the OP was thinking about talents who never made it, not people who self-destructed like Tyson or Wilfred Benitez or numerous others who didn't live up to their potentional.
                      agree, I take it like promising fighters that donīt meet expectations

Comment

Working...
                      X