Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali or Louis. Wh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=joseph5620;11490124][QUOTE=Greatest1942;11490092]LOL I don't rate Ali or Louis higher because of either of it. I was responding to someone.

And about Ali I saw that interview, but I will still say whatever were the problems it wasn't never as much as Louis who was more or less compelled to fight...

To make my case simple I might have $100 of which the IRS claims $90...I might have $100 and want $110...both are me wanting money true, but the situation is different.

Joseph one last word, don't take this personally, but you really need to start reading, posts a bit more thoroughly.

I don't take anything here personally and I read what you said thoroughly. You responded to a post that made a point about how both looked bad when they were past prime. This was your response:

Also, the thread title is "who ranks higher and why?" That is the topic.
    I was simply answering someone.

to clarify H2h at age 37, I will favour Louis, because I believe his style suited old age better, but it does not have any implications on my rankings...even if I believed that louis will Ko ali in 1 , it would have little bearing in ranking them.

I hope you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      George doesn't have the defence to stop him walking into Louis' accurate power shots in my opinion.
      One thing that might bother George seriosuly was Louis's jab, which was very accurate and powerful.

Secondly I do think his wide punches were open to be countered by Louis who had very fast hands and was a precision counter puncher.

I see Louis stopping George in the mid rounds as he tired.

As for Louis- Liston I favour Louis again , but Liston will be tough. Tougher than Foreman. But I will still favour Louis to win it.

BTW funnily Louis once pulled Liston by the ears, to a photoshoot.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I rank Ali higher, but this is like a 1 and 1A proposition. I wouldn't argue with either one as the top choice.
        I have Ali ranked 1 & Joe Louis ranked 2 in the all-time heavyweight list. But I wouldn't argue too strong if someone had Joe Louis as #1.

What sealed the deal for me was that Ali beat more better quality fighters than Joe did. Ali had the fortune to be born in an all-time great era for heavyweights. Ali's resume on who he beat is second to no other heavyweight champs.

And in a head to head match up, I can't help but remember how much trouble a little boxer like Billy Conn gave Louis. Image what a bigger, stronger, faster version of that would do to Joe Louis......

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
          I have Ali ranked 1 & Joe Louis ranked 2 in the all-time heavyweight list. But I wouldn't argue too strong if someone had Joe Louis as #1.

What sealed the deal for me was that Ali beat more better quality fighters than Joe did. Ali had the fortune to be born in an all-time great era for heavyweights. Ali's resume on who he beat is second to no other heavyweight champs.

And in a head to head match up, I can't help but remember how much trouble a little boxer like Billy Conn gave Louis. Image what a bigger, stronger, faster version of that would do to Joe Louis......
          Terry this kind of logic is fun...The bigger the guy was the easier it was for Louis...sometimes smaller faster boxer will trouble you more.

I can also say that "Look what a small guy like Cooper did to ali, he almost knocked him out,imagine what can the #1 puncher of all time do".

Both these arguments are silly IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            Terry this kind of logic is fun...The bigger the guy was the easier it was for Louis...sometimes smaller faster boxer will trouble you more.

I can also say that "Look what a small guy like Cooper did to ali, he almost knocked him out,imagine what can the #1 puncher of all time do".

Both these arguments are silly IMO.
            You make a very valid point using my logic in reverse re: Henry Cooper.

Still, if I ever debate anyone outside this forum, I'll pretend that I don't remember Ol' "Enry knocking Clay down and stick to my "Look what Billy Conn did against Louis" routine.

It is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
              You make a very valid point using my logic in reverse re: Henry Cooper.

Still, if I ever debate anyone outside this forum, I'll pretend that I don't remember Ol' "Enry knocking Clay down and stick to my "Look what Billy Conn did against Louis" routine.

It is fun!
              LOL, I understand...cheers mate.

Comment

I think the simple answer to this is that Joe Louis beats Muhammad Ali every time...

Whether he beats Cassius Clay is another question!

Comment

Originally posted by pwilky View Post
                  I think the simple answer to this is that Joe Louis beats Muhammad Ali every time...

Whether he beats Cassius Clay is another question!

Most observers would be of the opinion that 'The Greatest' was in his prime in late 66/67.......when he was very much Muhammed Ali.

Comment

Working...
                  X