Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If RJJ retired AFTER fighting Ruiz, would he have gone down as a TOP 5 ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, his resume isnt that good.

And also he got caught using PEDs which means he cant be considered a ATG imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      Roy fought the best available and dominated them hands down. He had two close fights in like 16 years (Tarver I and Griffin).

Roy never fought Dariuz because he wanted Roy to go to Europe to fight him. Roy deserved to fight at home in the states until he lost. Now that Roy lost, you see he didn't have a problem fighting over seas or making the Hopkins fight. Guys didn't want to fight Roy by his rules so a few fights never happened. Far from ducking anyone.

Fact is, head to head Roy could possibly beat anyone P4P in the history of the sport.

Which is why he made his opponents look like nobody's.

It's not that Hopkins was green, Hopkins just went up against one of the greatest fighters of all time in his prime. Simple as that.

Roy fought past when he should have. That's his biggest mistake, not that he never fought anyone that would make him GOAT worthy.

If Roy is in wars like Ali, Pac and Robinson; a lot of guys would change their tune about him. But the fact that he essentially dominated everyone in his prime, it's "Oh, he never fought anyone; therefore, he couldn't have possibly been the GOAT".

GTFOH
      Meh, he probably ducked Jirov.

@ parroting a line from his song

So you consider him the GOAT?

Comment

I don't think losses take away from a fighters ranking.

Look at Ezzard Charles. Most of the time he's a sure pick for top 5, but he has way more losses than he should have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
          Meh, he probably ducked Jirov.

@ parroting a line from his song

So you consider him the GOAT?
          Head to head, yes a prime Roy beats everyone put in front of him in my opinion.

He should've been like Sugar Ray Leonard and spent the majority of his career in retirement only to come back occasionally for big fights.

Maybe he'd get some reasonable respect here in NSB.

Comment

Head to head, yes a prime Roy beats everyone put in front of him in my opinion.

He should've been like Sugar Ray Leonard and spent the majority of his career in retirement only to come back occasionally for big fights.

Maybe he'd get some reasonable respect here in NSB.
            H2H a lot of people do. Not what I ask.

When you're aking an ATG list, all time great is he the GOAT to you? Do you put him #1? After SRR, after Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong, do you put him #1 on your ATG list?

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
              H2H a lot of people do. Not what I ask.

When you're aking an ATG list, all time great is he the GOAT to you? Do you put him #1? After SRR, after Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong, do you put him #1 on your ATG list?
              Head to head, yes he's the GOAT to me. Greatest fighter of all time to get in the ring. He had the total package in my opinion. If we're talking about how good someone fights, yes, he is probably my GOAT.

If we're talking resume, probably not.

Just so you know, there's more than just one way of looking at GOAT.

GOAT to some is based off of resume and how many times they went life and death while walking away with the W.

GOAT to others could essentially mean who would win head to head in that person's fantasy matchup.

Comment

it was clear as night and day that the roy jones that dropped weight and fought tarver was not the same roy jones. that is why i refuse to drop him at all.

roy jones at his best was capable of beating any fighter in the history of boxing south of heavyweight IMO.

Comment

Head to head, yes he's the GOAT to me. Greatest fighter of all time to get in the ring. He had the total package in my opinion. If we're talking about how good someone fights, yes, he is probably my GOAT.

If we're talking resume, probably not.

Just so you know, there's more than just one way of looking at GOAT.

GOAT to some is based off of resume and how many times they went life and death while walking away with the W.

GOAT to others could essentially mean who would win head to head in that person's fantasy matchup.
                  H2H he is up there. But, there is no H2H GOAT. In fantasy H2H match ups you would put them in weight-class they participated in.

Like Ricardo Lopez is the GOAT H2H since we would only match him up to weight-classes he participated in and he was arguably the best in both.

When people talk about ATG and top 5 and top 10 and GOAT they don't really mean H2H. Obviously that is not what the TS is talking about either. Lets keep it what the thread is about.

And, in H2H match-ups, Roy gets all the respect he deserves. Not sure why you're acting as if he doesn't. When they talk Roy with H2H match-ups he usually comes out more on top than not. Again that's not what the thread is about anyways.

So resume he is PROBABLY not? OK. You have him #2? #3? Where do you rank him(in the sense of what the TS is talking about).

Comment

On mystique alone he would be top 10. Do you know how much you can big up someone who went from MW to HW to win a belt? ENDLESSLY.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                      On mystique alone he would be top 10. Do you know how much you can big up someone who went from MW to HW to win a belt? ENDLESSLY.
                      Bob Fitzsimmons did it too, and beat better competition in doing so, but he often misses out on the top 10

Comment

Working...
                      X