No announcement yet.

Fighters who never pulled any dirty stuff in the ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters who never pulled any dirty stuff in the ring

Getting away with a foul here and there has been an effective part of most fighters' toolbox since the dawn of the sport. Low blows with the referee out of position, borderline kidney shots, subtle headbutts... great fighters usually know how to pull if off without getting caught; or at the very least, they know how many times they can foul before losing a point.

Does anyone have any examples of fighters who never broke the rules period?

It's a hard one that

Don't recall Arguello or Louis ever being deliberately bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      It's a hard one that

Don't recall Arguello or Louis ever being deliberately bad.
      I was going to say Arguello.

Comment

In the late 1950s Fritzie Zivic said that the only two 'clean' champions in history were Joe Louis and Gene Tunney. He said that they got away with it because Louis was a "million-dollar puncher" and Tunney was so well conditioned that he was no longer human.

Comment

Kostya Tszyu very clean figher, i remember watching a few fights of his were his opponent was fighting dirty and he never retaliated. the Miguel Ángel González fight in particular

Comment

Richie Woodhall. Not a bad bone in his body.......the Gary Lineker of British boxing!

Comment

James Toney, one of the cleanest ever.

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                Kostya Tszyu very clean figher, i remember watching a few fights of his were his opponent was fighting dirty and he never retaliated. the Miguel Ángel González fight in particular
                Tszyu could get rough, particularly with shoving opponents to the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                  James Toney, one of the cleanest ever.
                  I watched the Nunn fight recently and was astounded when Toney didn't pounce on Nunn when he asked him to wait while he kicked something out the ring. However that might have been down to confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    In the late 1950s Fritzie Zivic said that the only two 'clean' champions in history were Joe Louis and Gene Tunney. He said that they got away with it because Louis was a "million-dollar puncher" and Tunney was so well conditioned that he was no longer human.
                    Interesting!

Comment

Working...
                    X