Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonito Donaire is the new Diego Corrales (may he rest in peace)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get it, he clearly won majority of the rounds and scored a knockdown in a weightclass he's never seen before.
    How can you say it's Game Over? Are you the judge who favors Vasquez on the scorecard?

Comment

Originally posted by Radke View Post
      I don't get it, he clearly won majority of the rounds and scored a knockdown in a weightclass he's never seen before.
      How can you say it's Game Over? Are you the judge who favors Vasquez on the scorecard?
      when I said "Game over" I meant that the fight is suddenly even when he fights at a higher weight class against guys his own size. and when he moves up to 126 and fights a guy like Gamboa it is REALLY game over cause Gamboa would win this one pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
        when I said "Game over" I meant that the fight is suddenly even when he fights at a higher weight class against guys his own size. and when he moves up to 126 and fights a guy like Gamboa it is REALLY game over cause Gamboa would win this one pretty easily.
        I think they are smart enough to keep him away from Gamboa. This guy has the potential to become very marketable, they wont throw him in with Gamboa and piss that future marketability down the drain.

There are a lot of other fights out there for Donaire, they'll be smart.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
          Nah man, he won the fight but I agree that he wasn't as good as most of us were expecting him to be. Donaire has a lot of room for improvement at 122, especially since his power wasn't something extraordinary against WV2, who actually proved that at least for the moment Nonito's power isn't translating to the 122 division.

The main problem with Nonito was that he was being tagged all night long by WV2's jab, and also that IMO he was in love with his power. Nonito entered the fight thinking that it was going to be the same that at 118, that with the first power hook he was going to drop his opponent, but that didn't happen tonight. Donaire should go back to basics, get a defined style (tonight it looked that he was moving through different boxing styles, that didn't help him at all) and actually try to improve his power at the division.

He should continue learning and improving as a boxer, not just as a puncher, and especially learn not to rely only on speed and power, but also on some good boxing technique. Just look at what happened to Juanma Lopez, he was so in love with his power that forgot everything about boxing basics and was KOd by Salido.

He injured his left hand. His left hand wraps were soaked in blood when the gloves were removed.

Nonito claims the injury happened between the 2nd and fourth rounds.

Comment

Give the guy a break, this is just his first fight at 122 and its not agains't a nobody, he's still adjusting to the weightclass, so you can't really make a right judgement out of it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Radke View Post
              Give the guy a break, this is just his first fight at 122 and its not agains't a nobody, he's still adjusting to the weightclass, so you can't really make a right judgement out of it yet.
              Exactly.

He's said in the post fight interview that he'll have to go back to the drawing board and work on things. I was very impressed with his assessment after the fight (most fighters wouldn't say things like that) and he had some decent moments in the fight and considering it was his first fight at 122, he did ok.

I think people should hold off on the writing the guy off until he has a few fights at 122.

But he clearly won the fight. Only you raskat & that idiotic judge saw it any different.

Comment

Donaire is the new Diego Corrales (RIP): he beats up smaller guys with ease (Darchinyan, Montiel,....), but once he moves up in weight and fights guys his own size, it's GAME OVER.
                I didn't score the Donaire-Vazquez fight, but I felt Vazquez was landing the cleaner shots almost the whole fight. **** the silly HBO commentary and **** compubox punch stats, cause that is a load of bull**** lots of times. I didn't see Donaire landing all those punches in this fight, actually he didn't land **** 99 per cent of the time.
                I felt Vazquez won the fight, or a draw would be okay too. I'm not mexican, I'm just telling it how it is.
                Donaire fighting with his hands down and looking for countershots works only against smaller guys who can't touch him with their jabs. Once he fights a guy who has the same height and reach, Donaire gets punches in the face all night long (as seen in this fight).
                your thoughts on this?
                Are you Ruben Garcia?

Comment

LMFAO ****in Haters!!! First fight at 122 against a good opponent. Chill the hell out. You were watching a different fight if you think Donaire lost this one.

Comment

i think the TS is mistaking height for size... (which is understandable...)

chico was quite tall and when he competed @ 130 and 135, he appeared to really dwarf his foes...

same with paul williams and celestino caballero...

but their effectiveness physically (specially chico) really takes a big hit once they venture into the higher weight classes...

thats why scaling weight classes i(specially among the elite)s not really an easy thing to achieve...

Comment

the problem with some of u guys is that u dont use your brain. u just watch the fight on HBO and listen to biased crap commentary and u always see Lederman's ridiculous pro-Donaire scorecards during the fight, and then u guys believe it all.
                      u gotta have a brain to see the truth. some of u guys sukc the HBO crew so hard that they believe everything they say. mute the video and watch the fight and u will see Donaire's head snapping back a billion times.
                      the punch stats are fake as ****

Comment

Working...
                      X