No announcement yet.

Let's Be Honest, Floyd Mayweather Is The Reason 90% Of You Still Follow Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. President View Post
    This doesnt go for everyone on this site, but certainly the majority of you. There really isnt any other exciting fighters out there currently at the moment, and without Floyd being involved in this sport boxing would be incredibly bland right now.

For starts, the outstanding majority of you wouldnt check the latest news or frequent this site nearly as much (as evidenced by the fact that even Floyd's "haters" spend more time talking about him then they do about their own alleged favorite fighters). That's because there arent any fighters out there right now who can match his skill level or ability to create interest in the sport.

It should also be noted that if he decided to retire, PPV revenue would plummet to unseen lows. And to those of you who are gonna use the "Manny 'I have other people make my decisions for me' Pacquiao is still a big draw" card, the fact is that the reason he has so much hype behind him is because people are intrigued to see him fight Floyd. If you take Mayweather out of the equation, the interest in Pacquiao fades out.

I'm not saying that without him the sport would die out permanantly, because although no other fighter would be able to fill his shows right now (as far as boxing ability, camera savviness, and creating headlines goes), there will be others who will eventually rise to the top. But given boxings current state, and current crop of fighters out there right now, we're all incredibly lucky to have a fighter like Money Mayweather running the show. Without him this sport would be hurting worse than most of you probably care to admit.
    Of course you could be right, miracles do happen, but when you refer to Mayweather as "exciting" you've told me all you know about boxing. Pacquiao is genuinely exciting becasue he brihgs action-packed fistiana to the viewers. Also he's followed because, whatever some might think of his achievements being tainted, he has gained immense one-of-a-kind prominence, even though he's a small, underweight fighter, by projecting a David-Goliath picture to boxing fans. He has become the world-wide icon that Mayweather can never achieve even if he fought for the next 50 years, because Pacquiao is perceived as a straight-up, valiant guy who battles against odds, and Mayweather is seen as a cunning manipulator of the advantages for himself.

Almost exact counterpoints of each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtiger777 View Post
      marg is a scum who lost all my respect!!!!!!

The whole ducking myth has been challenged and debunked the only names they have is cotto, marg, and pac when they say he ducks fights... Its pathetic and old
      We would have had the Cotto fight years ago if Cotto manned up and left Arum, even after he pressured Cotto into the Pacquiao catchweight fight, right then is when he should have left Top Rank. I think he always wanted to fight Margarito again though and that's the reason he stayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        of course you could be right, miracles do happen, but when you refer to mayweather as "exciting" you've told me all you know about boxing. pacquiao is genuinely exciting becasue he brihgs action-packed fistiana to the viewers. Also he's followed because, whatever some might think of his achievements being tainted, he has gained immense one-of-a-kind prominence, even though he's a small, underweight fighter, by projecting a david-goliath picture to boxing fans. He has become the world-wide icon that mayweather can never achieve even if he fought for the next 50 years, because pacquiao is perceived as a straight-up, valiant guy who battles against odds, and mayweather is seen as a cunning manipulator of the advantages for himself.

technique, accuracy, and defense is very exciting to alot of "boxing" fans....

Comment

• Its hard to call someone exciting when you see the crowd leaving the arena mid way through a 12 round fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxn View Post
            Its hard to call someone exciting when you see the crowd leaving the arena mid way through a 12 round fight.
            Is the Baldomir fight really all you haters got? He fcked up his hand so he had to just win the fight and get out safe. Would you rather him have just quit mid fight like Duran or Klitschko?

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              Of course you could be right, miracles do happen, but when you refer to Mayweather as "exciting" you've told me all you know about boxing. Pacquiao is genuinely exciting becasue he brihgs action-packed fistiana to the viewers. Also he's followed because, whatever some might think of his achievements being tainted, he has gained immense one-of-a-kind prominence, even though he's a small, underweight fighter, by projecting a David-Goliath picture to boxing fans. He has become the world-wide icon that Mayweather can never achieve even if he fought for the next 50 years, because Pacquiao is perceived as a straight-up, valiant guy who battles against odds, and Mayweather is seen as a cunning manipulator of the advantages for himself.

Comment

• I watched boxing before Floyd and I'll watch it long after he's gone. Have a lot of respect for his talent and he has had a large net positive impact on the sport. But the thread title is absurd.

Comment

Its hard to call someone exciting when you see the crowd leaving the arena mid way through a 12 round fight.
                  there were 41 other fights brother, and its only when he moved up to 147 that he fought more careful but if it bores you it bores you im not here to make u like floyds style, i happen to enjoy boxing... brawls, techincal/thinking men battles, knock outs n all! but im more impressed with the actual art of boxing and seeing a fighter apply the skills... i guess understanding the different styles of boxing and appreciating them help me get through it all!

ive learned that half the people who debate boxing dont even know what it means to cut off the rind, or use angles... but whatever

Comment

• Originally posted by turbotime View Post
                    Is the Baldomir fight really all you haters got? He fcked up his hand so he had to just win the fight and get out safe. Would you rather him have just quit mid fight like Duran or Klitschko?
                    Damn the percieved as boring Andre Ward messed up his hand big time in his fight against Froch and we saw what a warrior he was a closed the fight in style. Guess we cant expect that type of committment from p4p #1.

Comment

Damn the percieved as boring Andre Ward messed up his hand big time in his fight against Froch and we saw what a warrior he was a closed the fight in style. Guess we cant expect that type of committment from p4p #1.
                      Ward is a big Super Middleweight though so he could be physical. Floyd was outmanned with one arm in the Baldomir fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X