Newbie Conditioning Training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Conditioning Training

OK guys I need some advice please

I started boxing about 3 weeks ago (my god its hard) you cant appreciate it until you try it

I'm 6'1 and 17stone, mix of muscle and fat - Iv'e been strength training for the last 12 months that's why I got to 17 stone, naturally

Boxing is killing me, my fitness/cardio is pathetic to be honest. Im the first to drop out in the sessions which is embarrassing but I understand it will come over time.

What I am here to ask is, is there a quick fix to my cardio. I know there's no quick fix but what exercise can I do to speed up the process when I'm not in the boxing gym

Whilst in the gym we tend to jump rope for about 15 minutes but we get told to randomly stop and do press-ups for a minute then back to jump rope at high speed with high knees

Then about 8 round on the bags, changing bags for each round

Maybe some time on the mits

Then some sparring, only about 2-3 rounds which gasses me right out, a mix of bad fitness and holding my breathe when punching

After sparring we all so some circuits of press-ups, dips and burpees

Sorry for the long winded message but thought I would show you what I do in the gym at the moment and maybe you can tell me what I can do outside the gym to help me in the gym.

Oh, by the way I'm boxing about 3-4 times a week at the moment and stopped the strength training

Thank you in advance for your help and advice

Run. Track, treadmill, grass, soft dirt. Doesn't matter, but running will help.

Other than that. Nothing really. Just keep putting in work at the gym.

Comment

Thank you for the reply and your advice is noted

Comment

Roadwork, punching drills (i.e. the amatuer rapid fire drills where you 1, 2's or 1,2,3's as fast as possible on the heavy bag for 15 seconds then continue your workout for 15 seconds, repeat till end of round.)
        BTW sparring after all that work that you mentioned doing is just going to make you a punching bag out there. Mostly for sparring it is best in my opinion to do it after a warmup and shadowboxing.

Comment

I've been boxing 5 days a week for about 7 months now. 2-3 rounds of sparring still gasses me if I go all out, don't worry about it, it'll come.

When you do cardio, make sure there is some crossover to boxing. There's no point in doing endless roadwork, there comes a point where going any further will be more detrimental than anything. You should never need to go any further than about 5k or so. Rather than distance, focus on intensity. I highly recommend interval training; HIIT is good, Fartlek is better. Especially as you can customise it to suit boxing.

I'd go into more detail about Fartlek, but Google would probably be more informative!

Comment

I'am a HUGE believer in HIIT.

Go to a field do some sprints mixing it up, maybe sprint 20 yards jog 10 etc. Also if there is a hill you can run on thats great builds endurance and leg muscles. If you have or have access to one of those parachutes people use in track for running those work well.

Also try out some plyometrics routines

Comment

Thanks for the advice all - really appreciate it

Ill update you in a few weeks how im progressing - In the meantime and more advice would be great

Comment

Working...
              X