I actually think khans lack of power is the problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually think khans lack of power is the problem

People talk about his chin, but the kid doesn't have power either

You rarely see khan hurt anyone with head punches.

First two rounds against garcia, khan landed **** loads of flush shots on garcia, but garcia took them in order to get his own counters off

Now in that situation replace khan with a pacquiao or a mosley, garcia would have been knocked out

Also when khan got up from the knockdown, again he was catching garcia flush on the chin, but again barely any effect

When berto knocked ortiz down it was the same situation except ortiz had power and was able to brutally drop berto and discourage him.

The combination of poor chin and power is a real handicap

He has decent pop its just it seems like he is trying to do a poor Pac impersonation and is jumping in with quick slapping punches and then jump out and around only problem is Pac can move in and out like that with force on his shots while Amir can't.

Comment

Amir has just above average power. He needs to learn that he can stop people in the later rounds by breaking them down he doesnt need to go full out for the KO early

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post
        Amir has just above average power. He needs to learn that he can stop people in the later rounds by breaking them down he doesnt need to go full out for the KO early
        This 1,000,000 times. Hes a natural talent but hes an idiot.

Comment

He's not a puncher, which he seems to think he is. At least he did against Garcia.

Comment

If he was trying to punch properly, he would be punching considerably harder, but he also wouldn't be landing as frequently.

That's why people often compare his style to amateurs. His style hasn't evolved to a pro one.

Comment

I aways thought conditioning was a problem for Khan. He can be dominant in the early rounds but often allows an opponent back into the fight during the second half. In bouts with Maidana and Peterson the first few rounds it was obvious he had better skills but as the fight progressed he ceased his movement and became more flat footed, often being forced to trade punches. Admittedly if had more power he might not have to go the extra rounds but the inability to follow a game plan the second half of a fight often comes down to conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I aways thought conditioning was a problem for Khan. He can be dominant in the early rounds but often allows an opponent back into the fight during the second half. In bouts with Maidana and Peterson the first few rounds it was obvious he had better skills but as the fight progressed he ceased his movement and became more flat footed, often being forced to trade punches. Admittedly if had more power he might not have to go the extra rounds but the inability to follow a game plan the second half of a fight often comes down to conditioning.
                This is true.

Another reason why this happen is because he has a lack of ability to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^

Comment

It's because he wastes punches. He throws needless combinations. He threw a lead left hook, right uppercut when he got caught by Garcia - wtf kinda dumbass combo is that? When a 1-2 would've kept Garcia pretty helpless

Roach has trained him to be a Pacquiao-esque flurrying puncher. It works for Pacquiao because he can hurt you even with those kinds of flurries.

If Khan would just calm down, throw less, stick the jab and sit on his punches more - he'd be a pretty formidable fighter.

The Paulie Malignaggi fight is the blueprint for me. He beat Paulie basically with a stiff jab and eventually broke him down to the point where he could throw bigger combos n get the stoppage. That's when I believed Roach was doing the right things with him but they seemed to deviate from that towards the end...

Comment

Working...
                    X