No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Tommy "The Duke" Morrison....AKA "Tommy Gunn"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
    I can get with that.....most fighters are good...only a few can be considered ATG's no doubt.......this kat was a big player in the HW for a minute though....and he sure did have some power....
    In all seriousness.....Morrison was an OK fighter that had his moments....beating Foreman and Razor were probably his best accomplishments....getting KTFO by Lennox and Mercer were the only other big fights of his that I can remember. So if your remembered for beating the two mentioned above, and losing to the two above...your probably aren't HOF worthy. Just my opinion......

Comment

Originally posted by fightfan_79 View Post
      He's top 5 ATG HW right now.....but ahead of him are definately Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago and of course Rocky Balboa.....Tarver...I mean Mason Dixon.
      Since he never lost in the ring, I rank him over all of those guys except Balboa who knocked him out in a street fight.

Comment

[QUOTE=RicDaRula;8148420]Yeah his last fight was in 08 but he is trying to comeback....still can't get a lic in the states though.....but that's not here nor there....im asking if you guys think he was elite back in the day???[/QUOTE]

If you're a top fighter in you era whether contender or champion, you are elite. So yes he was. Some people don't realize how difficult it is for a pofessional fighter to work his way up to even top 20. Most don't make it even close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
          Good solid contender that hit very hard. Excellent left hook. Exciting to watch. Weak chin and poor stamina. Nothing more than that.
          stamina is what really held him back the most. his stamina was ridiculously bad but his offense was a thing of beauty. heavy hands and very quick with his combos. terrific left hook. give him wlads jab and mcalls chin and stamina and we'd have a monster

Comment

[QUOTE=Calilloyd;8148849]
            Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
            Yeah his last fight was in 08 but he is trying to comeback....still can't get a lic in the states though.....but that's not here nor there....im asking if you guys think he was elite back in the day???[/QUOTE]

If you're a top fighter in you era whether contender or champion, you are elite. So yes he was. Some people don't realize how difficult it is for a pofessional fighter to work his way up to even top 20. Most don't make it even close to that.
            exactly this ^. He beat Foreman on his comeback trail BEFORE foreman destroyed moorer and he's one of only 3 people to beat Ruddock the other two being ATG's Tyson and Lewis, even after Morrison KO Ruddock, Ruddock still went on to ktfo a bunch more people after that. So just based on that yes he was ELITE.

Elite at the time, but not elite enough in history to be considered ATG though he's maybe a top 50 heavyweight or so

Comment

Originally posted by fightfan_79 View Post
              He's top 5 ATG HW right now.....but ahead of him are definately Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago and of course Rocky Balboa.....Tarver...I mean Mason Dixon.
              HaHAHAHAH.........I started to read you post and I was like top 5 ATG??????? WTF!!!!!!!! then I saw the rest.......hahaha.....good stuff

Comment

[QUOTE=etlux;8148912]

exactly this ^. He beat Foreman on his comeback trail BEFORE foreman destroyed moorer and he's one of only 3 people to beat Ruddock the other two being ATG's Tyson and Lewis, even after Morrison KO Ruddock, Ruddock still went on to ktfo a bunch more people after that. So just based on that yes he was ELITE.

Elite at the time, but not elite enough in history to be considered ATG though he's maybe a top 50 heavyweight or so
                he was a lot like lamon brewster in way in that he could beat almost anyone on his best day but also lose to any journeymen on his worst day. he was up and down

Comment

he was exciting to watch that's for sure. Had one of the best left hooks, a beautiful left hand, and at the time had the potential to become an ATG but his punch resistance let him down.

im not sure where to rank him, but i love watching Morrison behead people in his prime with his left meat cleaver, as a fan that's all that matters to me. Leave tha rankings to people who write history books, they never get it right anyway.

Comment

[QUOTE=beez721;8148934]
                    Originally posted by etlux View Post

he was a lot like lamon brewster in way in that he could beat almost anyone on his best day but also lose to any journeymen on his worst day. he was up and down
                    in a fights where brewster could outlast someone it was usually his chin that kept him through the end, with tommy he could beat anyone for sure, but unlike brewster, if he got tagged good he usually called it a night. but looking at his chin from another perspective, the fights that he lost by ko he was hit by some tremendous blows. it's not like he was going down from a grazing punch.

Comment

Since he never lost in the ring, I rank him over all of those guys except Balboa who knocked him out in a street fight.
                      Paulie: No, you listen okay? Rocky, Rocky, he's the real champion, you're just a goddamn joke.
                      [Paulie pshes back Tommy and Tommy punches him back, Rocky comes back to console Paulie]
                      Paulie: [to Rocky] Yous hould've left him on streets where you found him.
                      Rocky Balboa: [to Tommy] Hey! You knock him down how 'bout tryin' knockin' *me* down.
                      George W. Duke: No, no. In the ring. In the ring. Tommy only fights in the ring.
                      Rocky Balboa: My ring's outside.

(somehow I just knew this thread would head this way hahahha)
                      Last edited by extracurRICular; 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X