No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson under-appreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson under-appreciated

IMO i find it quite amazing how Mike Tyson does not get his due respect from internet boxing forum members.. Mike Tyson was one of the greatest of prizefighters, everything about his life was what you would expect from a prizefighter, the way he won the title at 20yrs of age and unified it 12 months later, how he avoided not a single fighter in his drive to be the greatest fighter of his era, one of the greatest power-punchers in boxing history if not thee best with almost half of his career fights ending in the very first round, Mike Tyson is the fighter who generated incredible interest in the sport of boxing with Pay-Per-View TV companies charging the viewer £10+ to watch this sporting phenominon live` in action, us the fans never cried in disappointment if Tyson as he often did blew his opponent away in the opening round, Tyson only ever fought `the best opponents` unlike the so called champions since.. Yet his career was shortlived with his rape conviction followed by his incarceration which spelled the end of a legend.. Yet today its not difficult to find many many so called boxing fans on forums `sticking the knife into Mike Tyson`trashing & ridiculing his achievements, claiming some fighters would beat him 10 times out of 10 if they fought, yet back in the late 80s Legendary trainers like Futch, Tocco & Arcel all said Tyson would be a match for any fighter in history...Ho how the mighty have fallen...IMO Mike Tyson was and always will be one of the greatest fighters who ever lived, and i will never ever forget the night he KOd Larry Holmes and Holmes words in the ring that night when interviewed after the fight by Reg Gutteridge, he said,"i could never have beaten Mike Tyson"... wether he could or he could not is a different matter...in his heyday Mike Tyson was a prizefighter and champion right out of the top draw.

BS opinions don't reflect those of boxing fans on the whole. Tyson overall fell short and disappointed. But his prime run was ill enuf to make him a legend. Dude is the man.

Comment

85-89 Tyson was incredibly destructive, and I would be hard pressed to find another ATG who could have contained him during this spell.. He made rag dolls out of Berbick, Biggs, Williams, Bruno, Thomas, Tubbs, Holmes & Spinks, with only Holmes managing to win a round.. As much as I admire the skills of both Klits, this version of Tyson would drown them..

Comment

Tyson does not get his props because the are so many die hard Tyson fans out there that exaggerate how good he was and make up excuses for his shortcomings. Look at how you react when you feel someone is overvaluing Lennox Lewis.

Im not taking a jab at you but you cant seriously say that you have unbalanced considered approach regarding Lewis, so why would you expect anyone else to be any different.

For the record id say his resume gets underrated and people do trot out the he would of lost to this guy 10 out of 10 times, but by the same token those opinions are neutered by the die hard Tyson fans who have no grasp on reality and cant accept anything less than Tyson was the best HW ever in his prime.

Comment

Once you take into consideration that most Boxingscene posters weren't old enough to fully appreciate what Mike Tyson was/is than you'll begin to understand why he doesn't get the props he deserves. Youtube can't replace the event that was Mike Tyson fight or recreate the atmosphere that surrounded it. If Mike didn't come along, I question if this forum would even exists. To many, Mike is just the crazy guy with the tattoo on his face. They don't understand that Mike is the most universally fear physical specimen ever to walk this earth. Mike isn't the only one that gets overlooked.

Hell, Pernell Whitaker is about as unappreciated as it gets. Sweet P was the face of HBO boxing for years. I went from elementary school, through high school, all the way to college with Sweet P being the 1 p4p and he pretty much doesn't exist on these forums. He ruled the 90's and was HBO's top dog even above Roy after he beat Chavez. Arguably the most skilled fighter of the past 25 year is a nobody on what is supposedly the #1 boxing forum on the net. WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by lee majors View Post
            Once you take into consideration that most Boxingscene posters weren't old enough to fully appreciate what Mike Tyson was/is than you'll begin to understand why he doesn't get the props he deserves. Youtube can't replace the event that was Mike Tyson fight or recreate the atmosphere that surrounded it. If Mike didn't come along, I question if this forum would even exists. To many, Mike is just the crazy guy with the tattoo on his face. They don't understand that Mike is the most universally fear physical specimen ever to walk this earth. Mike isn't the only one that gets overlooked.

Hell, Pernell Whitaker is about as unappreciated as it gets. Sweet P was the face of HBO boxing for years. I went from elementary school, through high school, all the way to college with Sweet P being the 1 p4p and he pretty much doesn't exist on these forums. He ruled the 90's and was HBO's top dog even above Roy after he beat Chavez. Arguably the most skilled fighter of the past 25 year is a nobody on what is supposedly the #1 boxing forum on the net. WTF!
            very true.. two great fighters

Comment

There WILL never be another Tyson

Comment

I agree completely,you get the odd newb who think they know something about boxing and will claim Tyson never fought or beat anyone of note,that he was overrated blah blah blah.

Tyson fought virtually every top heavyweight of his prime and beat them very convincingly.

Every fighter starts off with bums as did Tyson,but when Tyson made the step up he was still defeating the top heavyweights as easily as he was knocking out the scrubs and journeyman earlier in his career.

Tyson's resume stands at

James "Bonecrusher" Smith
                Tony Tucker
                Trevor Berbick
                Pinklon Thomas
                Larry Holmes
                Michael Spinks
                Tony Tubbs
                Carl Williams
                Frank Bruno 2x
                Razor Ruddock 2x
                Andrew Golota

All but two of those victories came just before Tyson was locked up for the rape charge at the age of 26.

Tyson was a fighting machine,blessed with extraordinary speed and power and mixed defense with offense as well as any fighter there ever has been.His prime was short and he blew it all but he made as great an impact in those three to four years as well as any fighter in history.He most certainly is a legendary fighter and personality and he most certainly is a top ten heavyweight.

I have always and will always be a fan of Kid Dynamite Mike "Gerard" Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                  I agree completely,you get the odd newb who think they know something about boxing and will claim Tyson never fought or beat anyone of note,that he was overrated blah blah blah.

Tyson fought virtually every top heavyweight of his prime and beat them very convincingly.

Every fighter starts off with bums as did Tyson,but when Tyson made the step up he was still defeating the top heavyweights as easily as he was knocking out the scrubs and journeyman earlier in his career.

Tyson's resume stands at

James "Bonecrusher" Smith
                  Tony Tucker
                  Trevor Berbick
                  Pinklon Thomas
                  Larry Holmes
                  Michael Spinks
                  Tony Tubbs
                  Carl Williams
                  Frank Bruno 2x
                  Razor Ruddock 2x
                  Andrew Golota
                  Which is hardly a who's who of boxing legends. And the first fighter that stood up to him pretty much ended his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                    Which is hardly a who's who of boxing legends. And the first fighter that stood up to him pretty much ended his career.
                    You are a moron and just exposed yourself as your stereotypical tyson critic,who can never find his way out of his own little box filled with cliches.

I gave a list of the top tier heavyweights of whom Tyson beat.I don't care much for Larry Holmes but he is regarded as a legend as is Michael Spinks but you have absolutely no idea who Michael Spinks is nor of his exploits and accomplishments as a lightheavyweight.

You offer nothing to this world or this forum,end your existence on both accounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X