Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Poll) In His Prime Was Roy Jones Jr Unbeatable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Yeah, good luck with that. I saw it once - when it occured. And I think it was a couple weeks after the fight transpired.
    Thanks, I get the feeling I'm going to need all the luck I can get, lol

Comment

• I wouldnt say anybody is unbeatable. He was still human. But it was unlikely that somebody would have beat him during that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
        no, he was a sensational boxer but in my opinion a bit over hyped by the media due to him being american. Also for one reasons or another a lot of top boxing fights did not get made with him
        LMAO..name me a fighte in the 90's that was better than Roy..

name me a fighter in their primes other than Ray Robinson who was more untouchable in their primes!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wire View Post
          Roy did look good beating up bums didn't he....
          why does everybody say that? these guys were good but be honest rJJ would have killed these guys. James toney was way..... better than all of these(Frankie Liles
          Gerald McClellan
          Chris Eubank)

Comment

• Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
            RJJ was exceptional. Maybe the greatest talent boxing has seen since SRR, and certainly since Ali. Unbeatable? No. But extremely tough to beat.

His punch resistance isnt the best, but is that a matter now of aging, or did he just not face a big enough banger in the days gone by? These are the questions we will always ask.

Legend.
            It isn't neccessary for a fighter to prove he's unbeatable by sticking out his chin to allow a free punch. We should assume that at least ONE TIME in his dazzling prime he got a wallop on the chin, and as far as we all know, he survived it with no bother. The Tarver punch was when Jones was long past his prime, although still a top fighter, so it is not an example to be quoted.

My own opinion is that, since we can only pass judgement on the evidence we actually have, including factual events, and since we can't legitimately speculate on "maybe" "perhaps", "everybody gets old" etc. we must come to the conclusion that,

"in his prime he was unbeatable", because that's exactly what happened.

And don't bring up that ridiculous DQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              Nunn lost to Rochi because he could not handle the pressure he was being put under, if he could of kept the fight in the centre ring he may have done a lot better but he could not and got outworked.

Nunn never looked comfortable when pressured imo( Barkley), although in his prime he was able to pick off on the way in (Roldan) because he had better reflexes etc.
              Yes but in his prime he would've handled Rochigianni - if he were a full fledged LHW.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                No one is unbeatable but Roy at 168 is the closest thing to SRR at 147 as unbeatable as you can be.
                I think Jones was alevel above Leonard. Leonard could be pressured and tagged, Jones couldn't.

Comment

• Roy Jones beat a lot of good fighters. His win against Toney deserves recognition, but it's obvious Toney was not at his best. His win against Ruiz deserves the same, then again Toney did the same thing injured and out of shape.

Still, unbeatable? He never dominated any great fighters to make him look unbeatable. He dominated a weight drained Toney who I wouldn't consider "great" at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Easy Work Jr. View Post
                    LMAO..name me a fighte in the 90's that was better than Roy..

name me a fighter in their primes other than Ray Robinson who was more untouchable in their primes!!
                    The man in your avatar is better then Roy Jones Jr. I'd say.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                      But it didn't. There was so many fights that would have been nice to see Jones take but somehow he avoided them. He did fight Pazienza though. Great fighter....
                      Bat, Vinnie P. was a great fighter, no doubt, Gatti-like, but was really outgunned by Jones, I think he had come up from a Junior lightweight title, or thereabouts. Too small, about
                      5'6-7", really only a little guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X