No announcement yet.

Terrible mistake for Nathan Cleverly to fight Ilunga Makabu

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible mistake for Nathan Cleverly to fight Ilunga Makabu

Ilunga Makabu is arguably the hardest puncher at cruiserweight.

He has great punch resistance too, I know Dmitry Kucher is a big puncher and Makabu took his best shots.

Nathan Cleverly is moving up to cruiserweight after his KO loss to Sergey Kovalev and in his first fight in that division on Feb 2 is scheduled to fight Makabu. I can't think of a worse career move for him.

Cleverly is a good fighter and right now he still has some potential. But he will not be able to come back from two consecutive KO losses. This will be the end of him.
    Last edited by The Hammer; 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM.

Is this confirmed yet? I thought Nathan was co-headlining a Frank Warren card in mid-Feb?

Comment

Cleverly's team isn't that smart, we all figured that out by now. Somehow, he's gotten them to believe his loss was a weight issue? Maybe he'll feel more powerful with more weight?!? I don't know.

Comment

How good is Makubu? Cleverly can take a shot, but he obviously won't be able to take multiple hits like Kovalev put on him.

I guess he came cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          How good is Makubu? Cleverly can take a shot, but he obviously won't be able to take multiple hits like Kovalev put on him.

I guess he came cheap.
          Makubu is a hard puncher and takes a punch very well, he could be the best in his division right now. He's like a cruiserweight Ike Ibeabuchi.

Comment

I am baffled as to why he/his team have taken this fight, in fact I was a bit baffled as to why they took the Kovalev fight too.

This really is not the comeback fight he needs right now. He is going to get wrecked.

Sure I can trust the British bookies to really overprice him too.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
              Ilunga Makabu is arguably the hardest puncher at cruiserweight.

He has great punch resistance too, I know Dmitry Kucher is a big puncher and Makabu took his best shots.

Nathan Cleverly is moving up to cruiserweight after his KO loss to Sergey Kovalev and in his first fight in that division on Feb 2 is scheduled to fight Makabu. I can't think of a worse career move for him.

Ckeverly is a good fighter and right now he still has some potential. But he will not be able to come back from two consecutive KO losses. This will be the end of him.
              I know this fight is on BoxRec, but Frank Warren's website still shows Cleverly on the bill for February 15th at the Copper Box.

http://www.frankwarren.com/schedule/copper-box-iii.html

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                I know this fight is on BoxRec, but Frank Warren's website still shows Cleverly on the bill for February 15th at the Copper Box.

http://www.frankwarren.com/schedule/copper-box-iii.html
                Well, for Cleverly's sake, I hope he fights in a warm-up at the Copper Box instead.

Comment

Respect to cleverly for taking on kovalev an now mnchu at a higher weight class. Both difficult fights

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    I am baffled as to why he/his team have taken this fight, in fact I was a bit baffled as to why they took the Kovalev fight too.

This really is not the comeback fight he needs right now. He is going to get wrecked.

Sure I can trust the British bookies to really overprice him too.
                    Money is the answer to that one, Cleverly apparently received a big offer. He wanted to fight the best too, he was tired of people saying he hadn't fought anyone. I guess Frank might have been worried about him leaving his stable like Burns.

Comment

Working...
                    X