Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Second Chance of El Magnifico ( my journey w/Vazquez)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Second Chance of El Magnifico ( my journey w/Vazquez)

***I found this video of Vazquez and wanted to tell you the story behind it. At the time Israel was only 21 years old.

We heard about Vazquez when he was 11-1. He had a big win over a guy name Oscar Larios who was 20-0 at the time. Vazquez brutally knocked him out in the first round.

There was a big buzz on this kid from Mexico and top managers wanted to sign him. But fortunately for us, my dad did. Top Rank heard so much about him and was curious to see him. So, they put Vazquez on their show hoping to see if the kid had the goods. And if he did, they would sign him.

Unfortunately that night, Israel Vazquez fought Antonio Ramirez. And had the WORSE U.S. debut you could imagine. He was purely a brawler with no basic boxing skills. Vazquez was struggling with a guy who was 2-15. And was even knocked down in the fight. But Vazquez kept coming showing he had heart and tried hs best to ko his foe. Vazquez got the nod. He won by unamious decision. With his face black and blue, he knew he did not fight well. And his chance at the American dream maybe in jeapordy.

Meanwhile from the audience...Top Rank immediately shined him off. They were very disappointed with him. They told us to send him back to Mexico. He does not have it. He's only a "club fighter." My dad and I were unimpress with Vazquez performance as well. But there was something about him....

We liked him. (especially after getting to know him as he was living with us) He was a nice kid that spoke little english and very respectful. He had a good punch and showed a lot of heart. We figured we will give him one more shot.... Give him a decent trainer in the U.S. who could teach him to box. But if Vazquez failed to look good.. that would be it. We took Vazquez in and he lived with us as we found him a new trainer.

This is the fight... Vazquez second chance in the U.S. Needless to say, Vazquez came thru with a 4th round tko. Vazquez was so happy. I rememeber this like yesterday!!! I was walking with him back into the locker room...as the door shut... Vazquez got on his knees and yelled! Hands up in the air!! Screaming in joy! You would of thought he won a world title! lol

He gave me a big hug and kneel down to say a prayer of thanks...

This was the begining of my journey with Israel Vazquez......

Last edited by alphaqfrankie; 08-17-2009, 11:09 PM.

The first fight with Oscar Larios. LArios was 20-0 and Vazquez was 11-1...

Vazquez was 20 yrs old...

Comment

Good read Homie!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alphaqfrankie View Post
        The first fight with Oscar Larios. LArios was 20-0 and Vazquez was 11-1...

Vazquez was 20 yrs old...

Thanks for those vids man. I only watched the one with Larios, and man that was a brutal KO. How the hell did Larios go on to have a successful career after that is what I want to know? It just shows you what a special fighter Vasquez is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
          Good read Homie!!!!!!!!!
          thanks man!

Comment

Still pissed off at HBO and Showtime for pussing out on the 4th fight.

Rafa and Vazquez each deserve at least 10 mill for that fight.

Comment

Very good story! a dream come true. thank you.

Comment

great story

Comment

Good story, it's great to see the position Vazquez is at now. True warrior.

Comment

my dad always told me about that fight he had with chololo.....
                    i remember last year when i found that fight on youtube i showed it to him and he went crazy lol...

thanks 4 sharin man

Comment

Working...
                    X