Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The all new, Mayweather/Pac Master Discussion Thread - The fight that will never be.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeftyLeftHook View Post
    Fight would've happen already had Bob Arum got on his horse and took off after his son died...

Boxing as a whole becomes better when Bob Arum is no longer an authority figure in it.
    ======== its a lame excuse using arum as the caused of floyd not wanting to fight pac...pac fought de la hoya whom arum despises(note that arum think its a mismatch against pac in the first place but pac insisted on it) so, floydfans reason that arum is protecting pac is moot and finally, how about floyd ducking and reneging his owned agreement with canelo? canelo is not with bob arum?
    Last edited by jack2x; 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Now that's what I call a lopsided poll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
        Now that's what I call a lopsided poll.

Comment

• To me, it was Mayweather by a wide margin in the Cotto fight and I've favored Mayweather against Pacquaio.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeftyLeftHook View Post
            Fight would've happen already had Bob Arum got on his horse and took off after his son died...

Boxing as a whole becomes better when Bob Arum is no longer an authority figure in it.
            Boxing as a whole would be better if people thought critically about situations instead of rushing to blame one guy.

Comment

• I think it says a lot about this site and the powers that be that everyone has Floyd rated as the number one P4P in the sport, except here, I find that very curious and interesting. But I suppose Mayweather haters need a place to gather and vent their deranged frustrations....

Comment

• Bob avoided what was sure to be the inevitable. Floyd wearing the Philippine flag on his robe, trunks, and shoes to the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
                  Now that's what I call a lopsided poll.
                  No kidding!

Though, generally, I suspect the poll 'would' have been a correct projection.

As much as I love Manny, Floyd was thee fighter of the past decade (if not the officially recognized one) and I just could never see Floyd allowing himself to be beaten by Manny... and for a plethora of other reasons, many cited on this thread, the fight NOT happening remains an oddity, an annoyance and a disaster for boxing, in a historical sense...

Patrick Kehoe

Comment

• Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
                    I think it says a lot about this site and the powers that be that everyone has Floyd rated as the number one P4P in the sport, except here, I find that very curious and interesting. But I suppose Mayweather haters need a place to gather and vent their deranged frustrations....
                    Years ago - I've been writing and editing outside of boxing/sports for a while now - the editorial staff and many of the writers felt that Manny represented boxing as a 'fighting' elite champion more totally than Floyd did... thus, the 'natural' leaning was certainly toward Manny... Mayweather was seen as a genius in the ring, but not the best face for boxing, a manipulative figure with the business of the sport to a large extent... Pacquiao was seen - relatively speaking - as a more up front, populist figure...

Regardless of whether or not that was an accurate representation/consensus, that 'feeling' and 'preception' was held by a LOT of important boxing writers and editors across the WEB and print journalism... Manny was seen as an 'authentic' ring warrior and fighting champion, in the traditional sense AND Floyd was seen as a ring genius, given to parcing out 'title' fights as leveraged business deals, tailoring his elite career...

Both were considered absolutely GREAT fighters across the board by writers and editors... and effectively the top pairing in terms of ring accomplishment and financial magnitude... however, the resentment Mayweather's personality, public behaviour, tendancy toward ludenss and criminality certainly influenced most in the writing/editing trade, TO ONE DEGREE OR ANOTHER...

For what ever his particular faults, Pacquiao - by strict comparison - was an almost unimpeachable figure/champion...

AND ONES character, reputation and public dealing DO influence people, as objectively as they may try to adjudicate otherwise...

Mayweather, though in my mind the greater fighter, was not the champion nor the man nor the figure to represent boxing as the Fighter of the Decade
                    (2000-2009) by that measuring...

Patrick Kehoe

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick Kehoe View Post
                      Years ago - I've been writing and editing outside of boxing/sports for a while now - the editorial staff and many of the writers felt that Manny represented boxing as a 'fighting' elite champion more totally than Floyd did... thus, the 'natural' leaning was certainly toward Manny... Mayweather was seen as a genius in the ring, but not the best face for boxing, a manipulative figure with the business of the sport to a large extent... Pacquiao was seen - relatively speaking - as a more up front, populist figure...

Regardless of whether or not that was an accurate representation/consensus, that 'feeling' and 'preception' was held by a LOT of important boxing writers and editors across the WEB and print journalism... Manny was seen as an 'authentic' ring warrior and fighting champion, in the traditional sense AND Floyd was seen as a ring genius, given to parcing out 'title' fights as leveraged business deals, tailoring his elite career...

Both were considered absolutely GREAT fighters across the board by writers and editors... and effectively the top pairing in terms of ring accomplishment and financial magnitude... however, the resentment Mayweather's personality, public behaviour, tendancy toward ludenss and criminality certainly influenced most in the writing/editing trade, TO ONE DEGREE OR ANOTHER...

For what ever his particular faults, Pacquiao - by strict comparison - was an almost unimpeachable figure/champion...

AND ONES character, reputation and public dealing DO influence people, as objectively as they may try to adjudicate otherwise...

Mayweather, though in my mind the greater fighter, was not the champion nor the man nor the figure to represent boxing as the Fighter of the Decade
                      (2000-2009) by that measuring...

Patrick Kehoe
                      This is a honest, well reasoned, and balanced post.

P34c3

Comment

Working...
                      X