Comments Thread For: It’s Been a Good Year: Unloading For The Holidays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: It’s Been a Good Year: Unloading For The Holidays

By Cliff Rold - ‘Tis the season…

While there remain some solid fight cards before the curtain falls on 2012, most of them abroad but with Tomasz Adamek-Steve Cunningham II on NBC this weekend, boxing fans are at the epilogue stage of their twelve-month season. They’ll pay attention where they can, but other issues take center stage.

Family beckons, turkey roasts, the lines of “Auld Lang Syne” get mumbled, Fantasy Football leagues conclude, hangovers commence.

It’s been a good year.

Well, so far. As these words are being read, Facebooked, and retweeted, we are all of course obliviously awaiting our doom. The Mayan calendar hits zero on Friday.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Assuming we’re all still here Saturday, things will go as expected for the next couple weeks.

So, before joining the staff to wrap up the year with all the of awards one can think of (okay, really like five or six big ones), and unveiling the annual “Champ for Champ” list next week, here is a collection of thoughts about events both recent and possible.

The Big Fights in 2013: The future is typically the most exciting thing to talk about in boxing and, after a strong 2012 full of upsets and excitement, the early prognosis for 2013 looks good.

The key is the right matches being made.

At 122 lbs., lineal World Champion Nonito Donaire followed up an easy win over Jorge Arce talking about the two Jr. Featherweight rivals he didn’t get to this year. There was nothing in his post-fight interview about Guillermo Rigondeaux needing to get his juices flowing. He stated plainly he prefers an inter-promotional clash with Golden Boy’s Abner Mares and that, if it can’t happen right away, he’d be fine with Top Rank stable mate Rigondeuax. [Click Here To Read More]

Good article. I can dig everything said in it. For the HoF, I think it should be based more on accomplishments than anything else. That being said, that's a great point about what a particular fighter did for boxing, as opposed to how good his skills were. The most intriguing thing to me was the fights on Saturday. My wife has been angry many a Saturday because I wanted to watch the fights instead of the watching some strange film at the movies. A fight on a Wednesday night? At say 7pm? Awesomesauce is what that is. I'm happy, wifes happy, and I can pursue what the single guys do on Saturday nights! Great article Mr. "Solid Gold."

Comment

Another good one from Cliff. I like that jab he throw towards that other writer.

Comment

Cliff delivers again. Good read

Comment

Good read particularly concerning the voting for the IBHOF. From where I am sitting, changes in the election process has to come if the Boxing Hall Of Fame is to continue using the International tag.

Comment

"some think joe frazier didn't have a hall of fame career, and sven ottke did."

shots fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow boxer 3 View Post
              Cliff delivers again. Good read
              he delivered one right on lyle's chin!

Comment

Good article i want to see gamboa-broner or donaire-mares but they prob won't happen.

Comment

Kudos to Cliff for admitting that he voted against Gatti but not being too emotionally invested.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Good read particularly concerning the voting for the IBHOF. From where I am sitting, changes in the election process has to come if the Boxing Hall Of Fame is to continue using the International tag.
                    Are you mad that Sven Ottke isn't in the Hall of Fame?

One must ask... how does a guy retire as an undefeated, unified super middleweight champion with 21 defenses of one of his straps, and not get into the Hall of Fame? He has to be one of the most overprotected fighters in history that never once left his home country where he received at least 5 robberies.

And you have the balls to question whether Andre Ward has a passport?

Comment

Working...
                    X