Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Mayweather ?... well judging by the common opponent he has with Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, I think Pacquiao is way better than Mayweather,, and I can now see why Floyd wants to avoid Pacquiao..... So Floyd, you either fight Pacman within the year or forever be ranked behind him, no more excuses are acceptable.
    JMM as well, to which Floyd boxed his ears off, so your triangle theory doesn't work.

Comment

Mayweather ?... well judging by the common opponent he has with Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, I think Pacquiao is way better than Mayweather,, and I can now see why Floyd wants to avoid Pacquiao..... So Floyd, you either fight Pacman within the year or forever be ranked behind him, no more excuses are acceptable.
      Why would Pacquiao have any more success with the taller, stronger, bigger, harder to hit counter-puncher than he did with Marquez?

Comment

• Originally posted by Faerun View Post
        1. Martinez @154
        2. Pacquiao @147
        3. Alvarez @154

If he fought and beat Martinez at 160 he'd have a legit claim at GOAT in my book.
        Alvarez? Why on earth?

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Good post.

I remember watching the Fullmer fight where he got the KO, he basically abandoned the jab and was just launching right hand and left hook leads. Coupled with inside fighting in a very messy fight.

Robinson could box though, no doubt about that. As you say his jab was nice, not too powerful but very frequent and accurate.
          Not to mention Ray was already past it. Sometimes I weigh if he was better off staying retired after the Maxim "loss" without incurring so many losses even if past-prime, but I dont know if you can trade it for picking up wins against Olson (two more anyway), Fullmer and Basilio. From my perspective, I'm damn glad he did comeback to get those on film! The way he disposes of Olson in III and IV, the left hook he drops on Fullmer and the wars with Basilio are noteworthy moments of his career.

Comment

• And he really beat Fullmer twice (should be a 6x champ).

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
              Are you serious?
              No mate of course not,, I thought I'd waste my breath by putting up my honest opinion. Did you not see Pacquiao destroy Cotto,, or did did you have your Floydyboy purple coloured glasses on. Mate get those glasses off and learn a bit about me, McGoorty before you say stuff like that. Instead of writing stuff like "you can't be serious (who are you ? John Mcenroe ?)",.. I didn't come down in the last shower. yes I was serious Johnny,, now get back to your seat next to newc, and call the Tennis,, or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Why would Pacquiao have any more success with the taller, stronger, bigger, harder to hit counter-puncher than he did with Marquez?
                He destroyed Cotto,, Mayweather had a tougher time of it, Marquez is a naturally smaller man I would say,, and pacquiao is even more naturally smaller than Marquez. Obviously styles make fights, JMM has done better against pac than any I can think of. but Cotto,, although way bigger than pac (talkin natural weight), was owned and brutalised by pacquiao, I say this without blinking, PacMans feats outshine Jrs and is pound for pound the better fighter,, and still why does mayweather avoid him ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hands of Iron View Post
                  Not to mention Ray was already past it. Sometimes I weigh if he was better off staying retired after the Maxim "loss" without incurring so many losses even if past-prime, but I dont know if you can trade it for picking up wins against Olson (two more anyway), Fullmer and Basilio. From my perspective, I'm damn glad he did comeback to get those on film! The way he disposes of Olson in III and IV, the left hook he drops on Fullmer and the wars with Basilio are noteworthy moments of his career.
                  The two fights with Basilio are fantastic,, and I still wonder if the results were the wrong way around,, I find the 2nd fight really hard to score and its natural that with Basilios badly damaged eye it sure looks like he lost, but there was an enormous amount of of puches landed by both guys,,, the results could easily have been Ray winning the first and Basilio the 2nd instead of the other way around,, but in the end 1 all is a very fair outcome. I really loved the way that Basilio always seemed to get stronger as a fight wore on. The only fighter I ever saw that dominated Basilio in a big way was Fullmer, oh man that fight really makes me wince.

Comment

No I'm not implying that, just that Darcy had a serious dose of TNT in both hands, as for who is greater ?. unfair comparison, Darcy's last fight was at age 20. Darcy had he lived would probably have fought around 299 fights like Harry did. A Greb V Darcy fight around 1921 would have been one of the classics, 20 rounds of pure fury, and not much chance of a stoppage. when Darcy had his last fight Greb was still on the way up. The point I'm making about SRR is that there was nothing lacking in his armoury. Please understand that Greb is one of my favourites as well and yes a dynamite punch is not the be all and end all, but certainly I prefer Darcy,, a combination of iron chin/dynamite on both hands/skills/stamina/speed of hand and foot sure makes for an exciting fighter. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Darcy ?,, yes his early death may leave some questions in some minds, and the biggest question is how a Darcy V Greb fight would have turned out. Many decades have now passed, so I cant be sure especially since no film of a Greb fight exists, but Jack Doc Kearns certainly was a bit of an expert on fighters and had seen Greb, Darcy, Klaus, ketchel, Walker, Flowers, McGoorty, Clabby, Gibbons, Papke in action by the early 30's when he stated that in his opinion Les Darcy was the best Middleweight he ever saw, (he trained Walker so one would have expected Jack to have favoured Walker, but according to Kearns, walker wasnt a chance in that match-up). ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Boxing history is basically stats and opinions and great books and film,, nothing more.
                    We all know you like Darcy.

You don't need too be a great puncher to be up there with Robinson as is evident, just because you 'prefer' someone that can punch hard doesn't mean that you can't compare Greb's greatness to Robinson's, his resume is just as good as Robinson's, you could even argue Greb's resume is better / greater.
                    I know they are highly popular and deserve to be. BUT, seriously theres no way Greb for instance was comparable, for a start he wasnt the complete fighter like Ray,
                    Last edited by NChristo; 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

No mate of course not,, I thought I'd waste my breath by putting up my honest opinion. Did you not see Pacquiao destroy Cotto,, or did did you have your Floydyboy purple coloured glasses on. Mate get those glasses off and learn a bit about me, McGoorty before you say stuff like that. Instead of writing stuff like "you can't be serious (who are you ? John Mcenroe ?)",.. I didn't come down in the last shower. yes I was serious Johnny,, now get back to your seat next to newc, and call the Tennis,, or something.
                      I really thought you were joking. I am sorry for you, I can suggest you watch professional wrestling or circus instead of boxing. Seems more in tune with your love for power punchers.
                      Last edited by wmute; 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X