No announcement yet.

thrilla in manilla

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thrilla in manilla

i just finished watching it on tv and i always thought frazier was coming on strong towards the end but i didnt realise that ali didnt want to come out in the 15th and frazier did. in my opinion i give that fight to frazier. he would of been the only man to beat ali twice.

Originally posted by cameronpaul View Post
    i just finished watching it on tv and i always thought frazier was coming on strong towards the end but i didnt realise that ali didnt want to come out in the 15th and frazier did. in my opinion i give that fight to frazier. he would of been the only man to beat ali twice.

C'mon, now. Ali really, really punished Joe in that 14th round...Joe would have been completely destroyed in the 15th.

Comment

Futch deserves a ton of respect for stopping that fight.

Joe may have been seriously injured.

Comment

frazier got pummelled in the 14th i dunno where your getting the 'he was coming on strong' from. Sure he wanted to come out for the 15th but there was no quit in joe, he could have been shot and be bleeding out and he'd still want to come out and no doubt fall over and die still throwing punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

so true joe was virtually blind and the flow of the fight had reverted back to Ali although he was expending alot of energy and was on the verge of collaspe himself.
          As far as being the only man to beat ali twice ken norton did he just did not get the nod from the third blind mice judging the third fight

Comment

Most people would love to give that fight to Frazier.

But Ali won, by TKO. Frazier could no longer see and Ali was ahead on the scorecards, he'd just been dominated in the 14th due to his lack of eyesight.

All Ali would need to do is avoid looping, desperate hooks from a tired and blind fighter. He has the tenacity to do that.

Futch did the right thing, and unfortunately Joe never really forgave him.

Comment

did you watch the fight or the documentary?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                C'mon, now. Ali really, really punished Joe in that 14th round...Joe would have been completely destroyed in the 15th.
                He would've, but Ali didn't seem to want to continue. So, do you think if Futch doesn't stop the fight that Ali quits on his stool or that maybe Dundee stops it for Ali, giving Frazier the win?

Or, does Ali grin and bear it, come out for the 15th and win a decision?
                Last edited by Anthony342; 10-10-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

I think Futch even said in the past that he saw two of his fighters die in the ring. Is that true?

Comment

He would've, but Ali didn't seem to want to continue. So, do you think if Futch doesn't stop the fight that Ali quits on his stool or that maybe Dundee stops it for Ali, giving Frazier the win?

Or, does Ali grin and bear it, come out for the 15th and win a decision?
                    i just think frazier should have least have been given the chance to come out in the 15, if ali had retired then frazier wins and if ali does come out and starts to deal more punishment then throw the towel in when needed, but at least let a fighter whos willing to come out a chance.

I think Futch even said in the past that he saw two of his fighters die in the ring. Is that true?
                    fair play if this is true and explains why he pulled him out. its just my heart wants to give frazier the fight because he took the fight to ali the whole time and anyones whos boxed knows its easier to sit back a score points than it is to come forward and try to hurt your opponent. its like a hagler/leonard, after watching it a few times i understand that leronard did win, but your heart wants to give it to hagler for actually wanting to fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X