Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Secures His Most Satisfying Career Victory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Secures His Most Satisfying Career Victory

by David P. Greisman - NEW YORK CITY — For three-and-a-half years, Miguel Cotto sought revenge — for the first loss he had ever taken, for the brutal beating he had received at the hands of Antonio Margarito, for the belief that Margarito’s hands had been tampered with, amplifying the extent of that beating.

For nine rounds, Cotto exacted that revenge, working to guard the weaknesses that had Margarito had taken advantage of in 2008 — and taking advantage of Margarito’s own weakness, one that dated back to a year ago and had been a topic of both conversation and concern in the weeks leading up this rematch.

Margarito’s right eye — where an orbital bone had been broken by Manny Pacquiao in November 2010, where vision had been blurred, a cataract removed, a lens replaced — swelled up due to the targeted punching of Cotto. Though expert physicians had ruled that Margarito’s surgically repaired eye left him fit to step in the ring, the ringside physicians have a stricter criteria when it comes to being fit to stay in the ring.

His eye was shut, the doctors saw. His vision was impaired, the doctors ruled. The fight was over, the doctors decided.

Cotto had his revenge, and an announced 21,239 in attendance — nearly all of Puerto Rican heritage, but some with Mexican blood — were there to see it.

Cotto had come out boxing in their first fight, only to be broken down under Margarito’s pressure. Margarito had dug hard uppercuts down into Cotto’s body and brought them up into Cotto’s face. Bloodied, his face misshapen, Cotto eventually wilted after 11 rounds, taking a knee and taking the loss. [Click Here To Read More]

Cotto performed like he was as good as ever.

Margo was lacking body movement and snap.

Comment

Surprised me. He kicked Margo's ass. I thought he'd get beat down again.

Comment

This is just a beautiful night.

Comment

Cotto looked great tonight. I always wanted to see him fight Mayweather. I always thought Cotto had the style to beat him. We'll see... I would also like to see him fight Pacquiao again. This time, with OST!!!

Comment

Have you noticed? Margo has no power since that plaster incident.
            First fight, Cotto was all beat up. This fight, Margo punches have little effect. Go figure.

Comment

Would have been a much better win in early 2009, before Margarito got two worse beatings than today, against Mosley and Pacquiao and got suspended for a year. Cotto got a Margarito that wasn't in any condition to box really. That was why I picked Cotto to win. It was a no brainer.

Comment

Mayweather-Cotto in Yankee Stadium would be banana's. Cotto was terrific and MSG was crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin douglas View Post
                  Have you noticed? Margo has no power since that plaster incident.
                  First fight, Cotto was all beat up. This fight, Margo punches have little effect. Go figure.
                  He didn't land nearly as many punches as he did in that fight Cotto did a great job boxing and avoiding Margarito punches this time around.

Props to cotto on his win.

Comment

Cotto should be 37-1

One being Pacquiao but even then he's on PEDs and used illegal hand wrap stacking

Comment

Working...
                    X