Blocking hooks with your hands on your face -Yes or No

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking hooks with your hands on your face -Yes or No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN13DCkSPyc

Go to 3:28 to about 3:48...Floyd Sr. tells Dirrell when he blocks hooks to NOT put his hand against his face...saying "if a guy is throwing hard, he can shake you up".

I was surprised to hear this. Floyd Jr keeps his hands on his face when blocking hooks. I would think keeping your hand away from your face when blocking hooks would just mean the punch knocks your fist into your face which could also shake you up.

Well floyd jr has not been fighting real one punch ko guys thats part of it but you should have it on or near your face you do not take one flush on the chin

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN13DCkSPyc

Go to 3:28 to about 3:48...Floyd Sr. tells Dirrell when he blocks hooks to NOT put his hand against his face...saying "if a guy is throwing hard, he can shake you up".

I was surprised to hear this. Floyd Jr keeps his hands on his face when blocking hooks. I would think keeping your hand away from your face when blocking hooks would just mean the punch knocks your fist into your face which could also shake you up.
      This came up in my gym by one of my HW's who asked me the same thing. Here's what I teach and I hope it helps you out.

I agree with Floyd Sr in that putting your glove to your face is not good because you will absorb the impact of the shot anyway. So you can do two things, you can separate your arm from your face to absorb the impact or you can brace the top of the glove (or bottom of the glove, where the fingers are, don't know if it's technically the top or bottom lol)) on your forehead and brace your elbow to your body. That creates a sort of a brace that takes all the power off of the shot and onto your forearm.

I'm sure Floyd has done what you have said but if you look closely to him catching hooks, he turns his face away and deflects the power, he's very good at that. That comes with years of experience though.
      Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I was taught to hold your hand up as if you are talking on the phone and bend your knees.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          This came up in my gym by one of my HW's who asked me the same thing. Here's what I teach and I hope it helps you out.

I agree with Floyd Sr in that putting your glove to your face is not good because you will absorb the impact of the shot anyway. So you can do two things, you can separate your arm from your face to absorb the impact or you can brace the top of the glove (or bottom of the glove, where the fingers are, don't know if it's technically the top or bottom lol)) on your forehead and brace your elbow to your body. That creates a sort of a brace that takes all the power off of the shot and onto your forearm.

I'm sure Floyd has done what you have said but if you look closely to him catching hooks, he turns his face away and deflects the power, he's very good at that. That comes with years of experience though.
          Yea I guess I should clarify because this is a very technical discussion, but I am not advocating simply catching the hook with your glove against your face with no sort of rolling with the punch with your head and body. I typically do roll with the punch with my head and body as the hook lands, but with my glove against my face. I feel the impact, but I've never been closed to rocked catching hooks like that. DISCLAIMER: I can't recall ever catching one thrown full power this way.

But in the beginning of this video, you can see what I am talking about as Floyd demonstrates it. He doesn't just eat the punch with his glove on his face, he rolls his body and head with the punches to take some sting off.

I noticed Broner caught a lot of hooks this way against DeMarco as well. His glove was very plainly planted against his face. I would think this is one technique that would be even safer as an amateur with headgear than as a pro.

Comment

So what Mayweather Snr's saying is hold your forearm up away from your face and tense it? But then with a really hard hook, wouldn't it do as a poster described above and slam your own glove into your own face? I got done like this a couple of times and then decided to go with the "against the face and attempt to roll" thing.

For what it's worth - I can still feel the impact of the hook if my glove is against my face, but when the glove slams into your head from 8 inches away, that seems to hurt more to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
              Yea I guess I should clarify because this is a very technical discussion, but I am not advocating simply catching the hook with your glove against your face with no sort of rolling with the punch with your head and body. I typically do roll with the punch with my head and body as the hook lands, but with my glove against my face. I feel the impact, but I've never been closed to rocked catching hooks like that. DISCLAIMER: I can't recall ever catching one thrown full power this way.

But in the beginning of this video, you can see what I am talking about as Floyd demonstrates it. He doesn't just eat the punch with his glove on his face, he rolls his body and head with the punches to take some sting off.

I noticed Broner caught a lot of hooks this way against DeMarco as well. His glove was very plainly planted against his face. I would think this is one technique that would be even safer as an amateur with headgear than as a pro.
              Believe me, you can get knocked out catching a shot to your face like that. What Floyd Sr said was 100% true and I wouldn't recommend it but again, you do have to roll and absorb the impact of the shot. I prefer the methods I describe because it insures that you don't take the blow to the face and possibly the chin.

One thing is fighting with headgear and big gloves another is getting hit with 10-12oz gloves in the pro's. Your feet also play a big part in absorbing the shots as well, when you learn to move inside the pocket, you can take a lot off of shots.

Comment

i feel most secure almost cuffing the back of my head and raising my elbow, it's really safe for headshots, but it'll probabley bite me in the ass later as my body is completely exposed on that side

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                  i feel most secure almost cuffing the back of my head and raising my elbow, it's really safe for headshots, but it'll probabley bite me in the ass later as my body is completely exposed on that side
                  This sounds similar to how you'd block a hook from an ungloved hand. In a street fight or in MMA. (with the 4 ounce gloves).

It has its pros and cons. One of the cons is the exposure to your ribs, kidneys, liver. But in a street fight, your number one priority is to remain concious and upright. (especially if outnumbered)

Also I'm sure you're aware that you can twist that elbow in towards your face and block not only hooks, but alot of straight shots as well. With one motion. Which makes it a very effective block against a bar brawler, mugger, etc.

Comment

The same action also makes a rather handy uppercut elbow. Naughty, but perhaps handy in a close in self defence situation

Comment

Working...
                    X