Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Martinez, not Golovkin, is the middleweight for Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Martinez, not Golovkin, is the middleweight for Mayweather

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - There are a lot of reasons people criticize Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Some question the quality of his opposition. Others claim he ducked Manny Pacquiao. And still more aren’t fond of the flashy, brash persona – whether in the ring or out.

At least two of the three border on idiocy. And as for the third, I couldn’t care less so long as he remains as unlikely to date my daughter as I am to reach the welterweight limit.

To these eyes, he’s the best of his generation and one capable of providing a challenging night to anyone who’s ever graced the 24-pound range in which he’s won five title belts.

So it makes me laugh when I hear contention that there are still giants who need to be slain before his legacy is considered anywhere near the level either he or I believe it warrants.

To me, if he retires tomorrow, he’s done everything that’s required of an all-time great.

Beat a legit champ to get a belt at 130 (Diego Corrales)… check.

Beat a legit champ to get a belt at 135 (Jose Luis Castillo)… check.

Beat a legit champ to get a belt at 140 (Arturo Gatti)… check.

Beat a legit champ to get a belt at 147 (Carlos Baldomir, Victor Ortiz)… check.

Beat a legit champ to get a belt at 154 (Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto)… check. [Click Here To Read More]

I stopped reading at gatti and baldomir being legit champs

Comment

Yes, let him cherrypick a faded injury-prone Martinez instead of a prime Golovkin. Great idea...

Comment

**** article made by a bias writer.

Comment

The man is 36. He should be able to compete at his own weight class. GGGs doing a good job so far but hes not a main stream fighter yet. His promoters got to start getting him bigger venues. That cracker jack box area he fought at last wont get it done.

Comment

Beating a kneeless old Sergio Martinez leaves nothing left to criticize? Get the hell out with that. Sergio is ripe for the cherrypick, Floyd can pounce on the wobbled old man but there will be tons to criticize. Beating the Tyson like Golovkin (an absolute punching machine that makes even Martinez look like a light hitter) is the only thing that can't be criticized. Taking the accomplishment route Martinez >>> Golovkin. But if you have a brain and are looking at current form and who really presents Mayweather the bigger challenge it should be utterly simple, Golovkin is a substantially bigger threat.

Comment

And though I concede the welter to middle thing was done rather famously by a guy named Leonard, he hadn’t started his career three weight classes below 147. So, rather than simply skipping one division to get to 160, asking him to do the same thing Mayweather somehow “needs” to do would have necessitated a mid-80s match with Michael Spinks, not Marvin Hagler.
              Love this spin, that welter Floyd is being asked to move up to mw. No Lyle, both Sergio and GGG want to challenge for Floyd's belts at SWW, how many times do they have to say it? But it's no surprise, this guy is an excuse factory.

Hey Lyle, how is Ortiz a legit welter champ if he had 0 wins at 147 proper? You didn't know that he made Berto drop to a CW? In fact he has 0 wins over top 10 comp at regulation weight in any weight class, even still. Jeeze what a fanboy.

Comment

Sergio is now a cherry pick?!

Comment

What a bad article XD
                  Probably a Flom0.

Comment

Yup Sergio is a perfect mayweather opponent; ripe for the picking. Man I can't wait for the may-pac era to be over.

Comment

Working...
                    X