Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Skilled Was Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG]************************/avatar4.jpg[/IMG]I loved watching Tyson close the distance almost more than the knockouts. Just his movement, his style it was great.
    Last edited by Ardell91; 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

His upper body movement was tremendous and was just as important as his speed and two-fisted power.

One thing I always thought was overstated was the effectiveness of his left jab when he was younger. Yeah, he was a better fighter when he threw behind his jab, but it's not like it was a punch he could control a guy or keep him off balance with.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        My favorite boxer outside of the ring, whom I rarely talk about. What do you think of Kid Dynamite's skillset?
        Very skilled. One of the most skilled boxers of all time.

Comment

Outstanding defense that was drilled to the extreme(bobbing and weaving, general head movement, hands up etc), great footwork that made him balanced, able to cut off the ring and always be in the right positions for his offense as well as defense. Many combinations that he memorised(Rooney would yell out numbers that him and Mike know were combo's and Tyson would fire them) and delivered in perfect punching form. He even had a great left jab which he used to set everything up, and also bodywork was also stressed by his trainers.

Cus was like an architect. Like it was stated above me, Tyson being a "masterpiece" is a great way of putting it. I don't know if it's a fact that Cus made Tyson stunt his growth in certain ways for the lower center of gravity that suited the style more, but it shows he truly thought of everything.

Comment

"You know, you ain't gonna be a jab astist with his size and physique in heavyweight division. His jab was really good considering that."

Mastrangelo...

Yes, I know that. But, some of his fans act like he had a great jab when what he had was a decent tool that helped him get inside. For a while he did the best he could with it for his size....but that still doesn't make it all that great a jab.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              "You know, you ain't gonna be a jab astist with his size and physique in heavyweight division. His jab was really good considering that."

Mastrangelo...

Yes, I know that. But, some of his fans act like he had a great jab when what he had was a decent tool that helped him get inside. For a while he did the best he could with it for his size....but that still doesn't make it all that great a jab.
              Maybe you haven't watched his fights early in his title reign for a while but he'd outjab bigger fighters with a longer reach. He definitely had a 'great jab' and I haven't seen someone claim he had an ATG jab so I disagree that it's overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
                Maybe you haven't watched his fights early in his title reign for a while but he'd outjab bigger fighters with a longer reach. He definitely had a 'great jab' and I haven't seen someone claim he had an ATG jab so I disagree that it's overrated.

I have seen every Mike Tyson fight, just about....and have certainly seen every fight since he beat Marvis Frazier.

Yeah, I saw him occasionally outjab a bigger guy. But, he diidn't use it consistently enough or control anybody enough with it for it to be labeled great.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Mitch Green really wasn't a very good heavyweight. So I'm less impressed. As for his skills being second to only Ali, that's ridiculous. Unless you think his "pure skills" compare with Tunney, Johnson, Louis, Charles, etc. It sure makes your skills look better when you can hit like a motherf-cker.
                  I just used the Green fight as an example. When he was in his prime he was totally capable of bobbing and weaving for 10 or 12 rounds. Yes, I stand by my statement that he's in the top two heavyweight champs of all time as far as skills. If you don't believe me, watch some old videos of him training on the heavy bag. Look at the combos he put together. Watch all of his fights from 86-90 except for the Douglas fight. He was far more skilled than a Frazier, Louis or Marciano..

Comment

Early Tyson using Peek-a-boo technique was a beast he had everything combinations, defense, head movement, power, speed and discipline. This Tyson would have beaten Ali, Foreman, Liston, Marciano and anyone else you want throw into the mix.

If Cus did not drop dead and Don King got involved Tyson would have retired undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                      I have seen every Mike Tyson fight, just about....and have certainly seen every fight since he beat Marvis Frazier.

Yeah, I saw him occasionally outjab a bigger guy. But, he diidn't use it consistently enough or control anybody enough with it for it to be labeled great.
                      What do you mean with great? Like I mentioned, all time great or just generally great?

If a 5'11 guy with a 71" reach can outjab guys like Toney Tucker then it's a great jab. It's unreasonable to expect a man of that stature to use his jab as his biggest weapon when he has so many other tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X