No announcement yet.

Super Middleweight Edwin Rodriguez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Middleweight Edwin Rodriguez

Fights on the undercard of the Del Valle Darchinyan bout this weekend against 13(12)-0-1, Jason Escalera.

Anyone know anything about him? He looks to have been brought along well, with wins against decent - and increasingly better - opposition. He's now 21-0 and hasn't fought anyone with more losses than wins since his 6th bout. Plus he outpointed Don George in his last bout so it looks like he has a decent set of whiskers on him.

Any one seen him or have any background on him?

Originally posted by taansend View Post
    Fights on the undercard of the Del Valle Darchinyan bout this weekend against 13(12)-0-1, Jason Escalera.

Anyone know anything about him? He looks to have been brought along well, with wins against decent - and increasingly better - opposition. He's now 21-0 and hasn't fought anyone with more losses than wins since his 6th bout. Plus he outpointed Don George in his last bout so it looks like he has a decent set of whiskers on him.

Any one seen him or have any background on him?

i've been to almost all of his local fights. he started off his career as a brawler, but has slowly turned into more of a boxer / puncher. he's not a terrific boxer. he's got decent power and a decent jab. he's got long arms and a strong upper body, so it is in his best interest generally to box on the outside.

ronnie shields has been training him for his last few fights, and slowly he's begun to turn away from what once once a very exciting style. he used to go all out and bomb guys out of there with body punches. shields knows what he's doing, though. rodriguez' only chance for success is to move away from the brawling style. he's not going to simply blows the doors off of the guys in the top 10.

i dont know anything about his next opponent, but his record looks to be that of a puncher. perhaps i've seen him off of the bigger networks and he's slipped my memory, but i do think he's unfamiliar to me.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i dont know anything about his next opponent, but his record looks to be that of a puncher. perhaps i've seen him off of the bigger networks and he's slipped my memory, but i do think he's unfamiliar to me.
      Thank you NE, much appreciated. The opponent has a great kayo record but against very shoddy opposition.

Rodriguez has been match brilliantly so far, fighting all sorts, so this looks like another good step.

Comment

Thank you NE, much appreciated. The opponent has a great kayo record but against very shoddy opposition.

Rodriguez has been match brilliantly so far, fighting all sorts, so this looks like another good step.
        you're welcome.

i agree. he was moved pretty tough and he got a good look at a lot of different fighters. lots of higher level gatekeeper / journeyman types on his resume. guys that show up to win, too. he's not the sort of draw to be able to command HBO or showtime airtime unless he's in there with a good fighter, and dibella doesn't have the kind of muscle that you'd see in a haymon, TR , or GBP fighter.

should be a nice fight. from what i've seen edwin has shown a good chin and some heart. if rodriguez is hurt expect him to start throwing to the body and really letting his hands go.

Comment

you're welcome.

i agree. he was moved pretty tough and he got a good look at a lot of different fighters. lots of higher level gatekeeper / journeyman types on his resume. guys that show up to win, too. he's not the sort of draw to be able to command HBO or showtime airtime unless he's in there with a good fighter, and dibella doesn't have the kind of muscle that you'd see in a haymon, TR , or GBP fighter.

should be a nice fight. from what i've seen edwin has shown a good chin and some heart. if rodriguez is hurt expect him to start throwing to the body and really letting his hands go.
          Do you think he could of beaten Stevenson? I think a good boxer who could weather the storm early on would beat Stevenson. One fight that comes to mind is Tarver-Kayode. I feel like he relies on his power too much. I had my doubts about Rodriguez beating him tho and I think they had theirs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyabolic View Post
            Do you think he could of beaten Stevenson? I think a good boxer who could weather the storm early on would beat Stevenson. One fight that comes to mind is Tarver-Kayode. I feel like he relies on his power too much. I had my doubts about Rodriguez beating him tho and I think they had theirs too.
            We will know more after Stevenson fights George.

Comment

why is he on hbo fighting stiffs like george and escalera? shouldn't he fight someone you know..........good? i thought hbo was supposed to show the best fights not tune ups for promoter's to show off their guys. rigged system.

Comment

We will know more after Stevenson fights George.
                Nah I think Don George is pretty bad and Im not only judging by his last fight. He will get KOed by Stevenson.

Comment

i thought rosinsky beat Rodriguez
                  he should win

Comment

i've been to almost all of his local fights. he started off his career as a brawler, but has slowly turned into more of a boxer / puncher. he's not a terrific boxer. he's got decent power and a decent jab. he's got long arms and a strong upper body, so it is in his best interest generally to box on the outside.

ronnie shields has been training him for his last few fights, and slowly he's begun to turn away from what once once a very exciting style. he used to go all out and bomb guys out of there with body punches. shields knows what he's doing, though. rodriguez' only chance for success is to move away from the brawling style. he's not going to simply blows the doors off of the guys in the top 10.

I don't know much about Rodriguez, but I've trained with and seen Jason Escalera as he is out of the gym I used to train in before I turned to College football. Kid is a beast, has fought locally in NJ and on ESPN recently, however fought to a draw in a fight I believe he should have started out faster in. He has power in both hands, is humble, and works HARD. The sparring sessions that occur in that gym are not for the weary, and it's definitely the hardest sparring I've seen. Escalera is not a stiff, and I'm not just saying it because I know and am friends with the kid.

http://youtu.be/u_AZk6a52ug

If you look at this video of him winning the golden gloves see how he won the golden gloves with only 7 amateur fights!! Not only did a nobody with 7 amateur fights defeat a two time national champ and veteran of over 100 fights. He ended his boxing career in the process.

He is no joke, this fight could turn out to be an action packed fight if Rodriguez lets his hands go. But don't expect Escalera to go in there headfirst, when the kid first started boxing he was all defense only now he could bang.

Comment

Working...
                    X