Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

Yes, in hindsight you can say that now, can't you.

Didn't look good on paper in 2009 now did it? That a 5'7 Lightweight was moving up two divisions, coming off of a TKO win where little Juan Diaz hurt him and gave him some trouble.
    What'd you have to say when Manny picked the same little lightweight when little lightweight got older, hurt and put on his butt by Katsidis?

Marquez is a great fighter regardless of weight. Why can't people see this.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      It's obvious to any impartial fan of the sport that he did.

He left when Cotto was at the highest peak of his career, Margarito was a threat to anybody, and Paul Williams was stomping around the division throwing thousands of punches per fight.

Then he comes back when Cotto's been beaten to hell, Margarito is exposed as a fraud, and Paul Williams has left the division in pursuit of people who actually want to fight him.
      Yeah, and the only viable opponent left is the Lightweight Champion because

A) He is a star in Mexico and he is Great

B) He is Pacquiao's prime nemesis, as if it is a prerequisite for a Manny fight. A cock tease of sorts to compare and contrast performances with common opponents before the Big Face-off. Except that one didn't happen either.

Also, one has to take into consideration the reduction in risk from being inactive. That's two to three possible fights that DID NOT HAPPEN, which means that there were two to three fights that you weren't exposed to the risk of losing (The invisible hand). While somebody else (Cotto, Margarito, Williams) at that time was risking a loss, which some of them did in fact lose.

I suppose if one of them (maybe Cotto) managed to win all those fights and walked out unscathed, it wouldn't be a problem. They still would have a case at fighting Floyd and public demand would still be through the roof , instead of a little Phillipino fighter bursting into the Welterweight scene and picking up the scraps by owning a washed up Delahoya at 147, beaten up Margarito, beaten up Cotto, Mosley etc,. And he didn't even fight him.

The haters just keep manufacturing new opponents for Money May, and he just keeps finding new interesting ways of not fighting them till they fade away on their own.
      Last edited by cupocity303; 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravestone View Post
        What'd you have to say when Manny picked the same little lightweight when little lightweight got older, hurt and put on his butt by Katsidis?
        I'm not a fan of Manny either so your narrow strategy failed. It's about Floyd and his choices, not Manny. And it's about the chronological history of calendar year 2008-circa early 2009, and what happened during that time (Margarito TKO Cotto, Mosley TKO Margarito, Carlos Quintana upsetting Paul Williams, Mosley taking a long layoff) and what did NOT happen (Floyd fighting anybody at all).

Comment

• well on the topic of cotto, i really think cotto could have turned out to be a really good fighter (i dont know about great) but now hes just damaged goods that just tries to survive in the ring instead of winning (its even worse now), i tried watching the fight he had with mayweather on youtube and i got mad as **** after a couple rounds and took it off, not only cause he was doing things he never used to do when was at his best but because it reminded me of those days that a mayweather/cotto fight should have happened.

Comment

• Probably not the sole reason but Im sure it encouraged his decision.

Comment

• correction: cotto was a really good fighter, he just had potential to do alot more in boxing

Comment

• Everyone knows this it is Floyds legacy. Sad his fan boys can't admit it but at least hes trying to be active now and trying to right some of the wrongs of the past.

Comment

• Why did Floyd demand the catch weight for the Canelo fight?

If 2 pounds won't make much difference, why did Floyd want it so badly?

Didn't Floyd ridicule Pacquiao for fighting at catch weights?

Comment

• Butthurt about Price, Freedom?

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
                      Why did Floyd demand the catch weight for the Canelo fight?

If 2 pounds won't make much difference, why did Floyd want it so badly?

Didn't Floyd ridicule Pacquiao for fighting at catch weights?
                      he sure did!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X