No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4 - Who Dared Won...and Lost

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4 - Who Dared Won...and Lost

By Thomas Gerbasi - It was violent, frightening, dramatic, and beautiful. Nothing can quite encompass all those feelings in one 17 minute 59 second segment of time, but Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao managed to do it in the best and most exhilarating of their four fights last Saturday night.

And that's what the bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was - a fight. Though unlike some of the storied brawls celebrated throughout the years, this wasn't something you would see in a smoky club or in a back alley, as this was boxing at its highest level contested by two of the best of this or any other era.

Yet what made it special was that for the all the tactical brilliance displayed by Marquez and Pacquiao in their first three bouts, this one had an edge to it that's hard to describe but that was evident as soon as the bell rang.

We all hear fighters saying that they will leave it all in the ring or that they're willing to die in pursuit of their art. Marquez and Pacquiao made no such bold proclamations, opting to instead let their actions speak for themselves.

What followed was a fight in which every punch was meant to do damage, every round was tenser than the previous one, and every drop of blood shed was a signal that the end was near. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Thomas Gerbasi - It was violent, frightening, dramatic, and beautiful. Nothing can quite encompass all those feelings in one 17 minute 59 second segment of time, but Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao managed to do it in the best and most exhilarating of their four fights last Saturday night.

And that's what the bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was - a fight. Though unlike some of the storied brawls celebrated throughout the years, this wasn't something you would see in a smoky club or in a back alley, as this was boxing at its highest level contested by two of the best of this or any other era.

Yet what made it special was that for the all the tactical brilliance displayed by Marquez and Pacquiao in their first three bouts, this one had an edge to it that's hard to describe but that was evident as soon as the bell rang.

We all hear fighters saying that they will leave it all in the ring or that they're willing to die in pursuit of their art. Marquez and Pacquiao made no such bold proclamations, opting to instead let their actions speak for themselves.

What followed was a fight in which every punch was meant to do damage, every round was tenser than the previous one, and every drop of blood shed was a signal that the end was near. [Click Here To Read More]
    This is like the only good article I've read on here I think..

Comment

Great article.

Comment

Unfortunately, for whatever reason (regardless of whether still necessary), Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao have not yet dared fight each other. Juan Manuel Marquez dared to fight them both.
        Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12-14-2012, 03:31 AM.

Comment

I seriously doubt Floyd's first thought is that this will improve his negotiating position with Manny, because that fight is never going to happen. And as the years have passed us by I wonder why we ever thought it was possible given the powerful market forces that bankroll the sport.

A Mayweather-Pacquiao fight only makes sense now if people think Manny is a credible threat and he isn't, he just isn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
            I seriously doubt Floyd's first thought is that this will improve his negotiating position with Manny, because that fight is never going to happen. And as the years have passed us by I wonder why we ever thought it was possible given the powerful market forces that bankroll the sport.

A Mayweather-Pacquiao fight only makes sense now if people think Manny is a credible threat and he isn't, he just isn't....
            Neither was JMM or Cotto, and those fights happened. Guerrero might be next. Of course they took way less than Pac would probably take even now, but at least at this point a very uneven split is justified.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Neither was JMM or Cotto, and those fights happened. Guerrero might be next. Of course they took way less than Pac would probably take even now, but at least at this point a very uneven split is justified.
              Bro, an uneven split was justified before this, Floyd is the biggest draw, that's already been established. All this loss did was cement what many fans should have known intuitively, that this fight will never happen because a Bob Arum wasn't and isn't done with Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Bro, an uneven split was justified before this, Floyd is the biggest draw, that's already been established. All this loss did was cement what many fans should have known intuitively, that this fight will never happen because a Bob Arum wasn't and isn't done with Manny Pacquiao.
                that's why i said "very uneven", like 60/40 or wider, maybe even something ridiculous like a flat fee

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  that's why i said "very uneven", like 60/40 or wider, maybe even something ridiculous like a flat fee
                  I think even considering purse splits is premature in the extreme. Manny just got the holy stuffings knocked out of him. I know a return seems like a no-brainer but lets not start splitting up the purses just yet. The fight has to really make logical and financial sense. Does a fight with Pacquiao really have any meaning at this point after what we witnessed Saturday night? IMHO, the fight's as dead as a bug eyed carp.

Comment

I think even considering purse splits is premature in the extreme. Manny just got the holy stuffings knocked out of him. I know a return seems like a no-brainer but lets not start splitting up the purses just yet. The fight has to really make logical and financial sense. Does a fight with Pacquiao really have any meaning at this point after what we witnessed Saturday night? IMHO, the fight's as dead as a bug eyed carp.
                    No doubt, but if it happened it would sell, and unless Floyd is trying to prove a point yet again, money should be less of an issue. Again, it's not like there's great options for Floyd unless he wants to stay at 154. Or course, the better Pac does in the comeback, the more logical this fight becomes.

Comment

Working...
                    X