No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
    The fight actually did about 1.1 mill and it garnered about 65 mill and it was tuneup that was sold as a mega fight which is why I called it glorified.
    so even by your numbers 1.1 million PPV buys is not a mega-fight it is just a "Glorified Tune-up" fight ?

Tune-Up for what?

Comment

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      Everyone was expecting Pacquaio to walk through Margarito like he did, he was expected to win against someone who hasn't looked good in a few years and got wiped out in his last big fight, what surprised people is that Margarito lasted the distance.

That and Clottey = better then wins over a top 5 p4p and the MW champ ?.
      That's what I'm getting from your post, which is complete bull, this is not a toss up at all.

As for the rest of your post, this is Fighter of the year, what has the rest of his career got to do with it ?, nothing at all.
      Yes those are vastly superior wins... Martinez last 4 fights have been a draw, a defeat, a win over a Alcoholic and a KO win.... Pavlik was exposed and schooled by an old 44yrs old and Martinez win over Williams was not even a PPV event although i feel it will be KO of the year i don't feel Martinez 2 wins catapult him above Manny Pacquiao.. who's 2 wins in 2010 was exceptional .... you will soon see who Ring Magazine feel is the FOTY

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        so even by your numbers 1.1 million PPV buys is not a mega-fight it is just a "Glorified Tune-up" fight ?

Tune-Up for what?
        Just a stay busy fight, to keep skills sharp, thats what I mean by a tune-up. Theres just no way he had a better year than Martinez, or even Lopez and Montiel, but whatever man keep pretending he had the best year just because your a fan of him.

Comment

Just a stay busy fight, to keep skills sharp, thats what I mean by a tune-up. Theres just no way he had a better year than Martinez, or even Lopez and Montiel, but whatever man keep pretending he had the best year just because your a fan of him.
          i don't have to pretend about anything, it is you who is doing all the pretending... Lopez & Montiel.. who?

Comment

• It's not that obvious who the fighter of the year is, Anyone who thinks its is bias. After Pavlik getting dominated by Hopkins and Martinez winning the first fight against Williams .Was it really that shocking that Martinez won? Martinez was not able to dominate Pavlik the way Paquiua dominated Margarito and Clotty. Was Margarito less of an opponent then Pwill if you pay a lot of attention to p4p you would think so but thats subjective, but so is fighter of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              It's not that obvious who the fighter of the year is, Anyone who thinks its is bias. After Pavlik getting dominated by Hopkins and Martinez winning the first fight against Williams .Was it really that shocking that Martinez won? Martinez was not able to dominate Pavlik the way Paquiua dominated Margarito and Clotty. Was Margarito less of an opponent then Pwill if you pay a lot of attention to p4p you would think so but thats subjective, but so is fighter of the year.
              Margarito wasn't ranked, he got brutalised against Mosley in his last significant fight going into the Pac fight, Pavlik was still MW champ and the favourite to win, then Martinez knocked out an elite fighter in devastating fashion, I have no idea what their is to dispute. Pacquiao was not able to dominate Marg like Wlad dominated Peters does that mean he deserves to win FOTY?

Comment

• when will ring magazine announce the foty 2010?

Comment

Margarito wasn't ranked, he got brutalised against Mosley in his last significant fight going into the Pac fight, Pavlik was still MW champ and the favourite to win, then Martinez knocked out an elite fighter in devastating fashion, I have no idea what their is to dispute. Pacquiao was not able to dominate Marg like Wlad dominated Peters does that mean he deserves to win FOTY?
                  Williams would maybe have been beaten badly by Mosley that night also but I don't know. Margarito vs Williams was almost a draw by that you might think they were pretty close to the same level of boxer. Also Paquiao is a over 20 pounds lighter.

Really I don't care who gets fighter of the year. Although things like that may effect boxing's popularity. Which I care about, I don't want boxing to get less popular then it is. I think if boxing is popular it leads to more talented boxers. Plus Ring Magizine may be sold at stores around where I live which would be good. I think Ring Magizine would like that also.

Comment

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Everyone was expecting Pacquaio to walk through Margarito like he did, he was expected to win against someone who hasn't looked good in a few years and got wiped out in his last big fight, what surprised people is that Margarito lasted the distance.

That and Clottey = better then wins over a top 5 p4p and the MW champ ?.
                    That's what I'm getting from your post, which is complete bull, this is not a toss up at all.

As for the rest of your post, this is Fighter of the year, what has the rest of his career got to do with it ?, nothing at all.
                    Re-read the part you responded to. I'm saying what people thought of Pacquiao-Margarito as a fight in recent times, not by the stage it was actually announced. People in the current moment expected Pacquiao to win (for the most part), but what are we to do, punish Pacquiao for being so good he could coast his way through a fight not so long ago considered utterly unwinnable? Beating Margarito goes quite a ways longer with me, it seems, than many.

As I say, people are just way, way too accustomed to Pacquiao doing things he has no right to do, & it's lessening the impact of his efforts. Shutting out Margarito at 154lbs. is pretty unthinkable for anyone with this guy's background, but here we are.

Walking on water is still a remarkable feat if someone does it easily.

Comment

If Pavlik is a better victory than Margarito (quite debatable), it sure ain't by much.

Williams (& the manner of the win), yes, that's a better victory than Clottey (which itself is solid enough), but when you factor in Pacquiao's weight-jumping & the size he continues to give up, it tilts it back towards being pretty even. If Martinez were beating guys of Pavlik & Williams' calibre at, say, Light-Heavyweight, it would be closer to what Pacquiao's doing, & I could see then how he would be a shoo-in for FOTY. As it stands, I cannot understand the view it's Martinez or nothing.
                      Last edited by Wild Blue Yonda; 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X