Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ringside: Yuriorkis Gamboa Rolls Forward in Atlantic City

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ringside: Yuriorkis Gamboa Rolls Forward in Atlantic City

by David P. Greisman - ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – They were the three outcomes that fans of Yuriorkis Gamboa had been looking for.

He won. He won easily. And he went home early.

Except the end of the fight wasn’t off a sensational knockout, but rather from an accidental head butt and an anticlimactic early reading of the judge’s scorecards.

Gamboa defeated Daniel Ponce De Leon via unanimous technical decision, two judges scoring the action 80-72, the third tally of 79-73 finding one round to give to Ponce De Leon.

That Gamboa won was no surprise. That both men remained standing wasn’t quite expected.

Gamboa and Ponce De Leon each have reputations for rendering their opponents defenseless or unconscious. Gamboa, with his blinding hand speed, had captured an Olympic gold medal in 2004 and had only allowed four of his 20 pro fights to go the distance. Ponce De Leon, with 34 knockouts in 41 victories, had landed on the highlight reel on several occasions simply by landing his left hand.

It was a given that this Cuban and this Mexican would ooze machismo in the ring Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall. [Click Here To Read More]

Great article. Exactly the fight I saw.

Comment

it was a good fight i give props to de le leon for a good fight wish it could of gone further i mean it did look like by round 8 gamboa started to tag de le leon alot i say by round 11 gamboa would of knocked him out but who knows

Comment

Gamboa does what only elite fighters can do -- he makes very good fighters like PDL look ordinary

Comment

gamboa was gonna ko him without a doubt

Comment

Working...
          X