Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Talented, Floyd Patterson or Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    I wouldn't edge Lewis over Patterson in terms of jabs. Lewis often boasted about his jab, but honestly it wasn't nearly as fast or accurate as Floyd's.

Come to think of it, I cant think of a fight where Lewis's jab was particularly impressive....as great a fighter as Lennox was.
    faster yes, disagreed on accuracy though. patterson relied on his speed a lot to land the jab. imo when he fought someone with equal speed he looked flustered, just sticking the jab out randomly, doubling up to compensate. hoping to land more than really aiming and timing.

Comment

Originally posted by geribeetus View Post
      p4p patterson was the better physical specimen. but lewis had a better sharper jab and was a more accurate and fluid puncher at his best. patterson was fast but he swung wide and wild with the hooks. he also leapt at his opponent when looking for the ko. lewis used his feet instead of reaching like that. lewis had a wider variety of punches and was better at keeping distance than patterson.
      Certainly agree with Lennox keeping distance more effectively.

Disagree on the jab. Lewis pawed with it too much.

Fluidity of shot I'll lean towards Floyd in a big way.

Comment

Patterson!

Comment

Hi Geribeetus,

The problem was Patterson didn't meet anyone remotely as fast as him as a heavyweight until Ali in 65, when realistically he wasn't quite as fast as he was in the late 50s.

Poor Floyd didn't look good against Ali at all in 65 when clearly suffering from a back injury so I know what you mean about his jab that night and the ineffectual doubling. The reach disparity with Ali didn't help much either. Obviously Jimmy Ellis was another fast opponent, but I seem to remember that fight being damn close even though Floyd was close to retirement.

He didn't look too shabby against Ali in 1972 mind, despite the 7th round stoppage I seem to recall Floyd being even in the scoring up to that point.

I liked his jab, I may dig out the Archie Moore fight as a reminder......haven't seen that one in a while!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            In terms of sheer raw talent, its Patterson and clearly.

He was one of the best combination punchers ever, in a similar league to the Meldrick Taylors, Jones Jnrs and Ray Leonards. Stylistically I'd cite him as every boxing trainers dream fighter, the perfect example of how to do the peak a boo style well. Hands up, slipping punches, great jab, superb combinations, footwork and every punch in the book.

He is one of the most talented pound for pound boxers ever. His punch resistance was his downfall and to be honest he was really not much more than a light heavyweight campaigning against some of the better heavyweights in history. The only guys to really outclass him were the bigger Liston and Ali in 65 (when Floyd was clearly suffering some form of back injury).

Lennox was talented, no doubt. But I cant think of an area in which he out shined Floyd in terms of sheer skill.

Head to head matchups may well favour Lennox, but as Sonnyboyx pointed out.......that is not what the thread is about.
            This thread can end right here.

Comment

Cheers bud.

Comment

Patterson was more physically talented, but talent involves more than just physical traits. Having incredible determination and the will to win at all costs is the greatest talent you can have in boxing. Who had more mental talent?

Lewis was the greater fighter in my opinion, but does that make him more talented?

I'll still go with Patterson as I think the TS was getting at more the physical side of things anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X