Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn or Virgil Hill who do you rate as the greater fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    I would have to go with Virgil Hill. Benn might have two wins with bigger names, one of which is very dodgy (if you've seen the Barkley fight), but overall Hill achieved a lot more and fought as many (probably more in fact) good or great fighters, and had a much greater title reign.

Benn also had a series of losses that go a little against him more so than Hill's losses.
    He was basically shot after the McClellan fight and shouldn't of been anywhere near a ring, let alone fighting in one

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
      He was basically shot after the McClellan fight and shouldn't of been anywhere near a ring, let alone fighting in one
      I also mean his five round KO loss to Watson in his prime, along with his others.

In fact, the more I think about it the more inclined I am to say Hill quite easily. They were both two division world champions but Hill was a four time, two division champ (two time in both LHW and CW), both had some very fine wins and both had a few bad losses. However, it really wasn't until, Hill was past it that he lost badly, whereas Benn lost badly in his prime. Hill's only loss in his genuine prime was to the top 20/30 (wherever you want to put him) Tommy Hearns in Hill's first outing as LHW champ.

Many people overlook Hill foolishly though as he wasn't a great, popular champ or insane slugging power puncher like Benn.

All up, in two reigns at LHW, Hill made 22 defenses and unified the division. He would also go on to win the CW title from 42-1 Fabrice Tiozzo....I can just hear most saying "Who da fuk is dat dude? Sum Euro bum dat Money Mai would pwn. LAMO!" when in reality, throughout a 50 fight career he only lost twice. Both losses were to Hill, and Tiozzo was himself was a two division, three time champion. He has great wins over Dariusz Michalczewski (the guy that Jones supposedly ducked all that time at LHW), the very fine CW champ Nate Miller, who beat the excellent Orlin Norris for the title, as well as beating Mike McCallum (well before Jones got to him) and Eric Lucas......and they are only a few of his good wins. Hill also won his second CW title from the undefeated 30-0 Valery Brudov.

Hill also has an undefeated 30-0 Henry Maske win to unify the LHW division along with series of other very good wins over such champions like Frank Tate, James Kinchen, Bobby Czyz, Lottie Mwale (this guy is probably unknown here amongst most but was a great fighter and had big wins over an undefeated Tony Sibson, Marvin Johnson, etc), Marvin Camel (two time CW champ), Leslie Stewart etc etc.

Most people now really do only know him from Jones body shot KO of him.

Comment

Which is a shame because in his prime Hill was a terrific fighter.

Poet

Comment

I also mean his five round KO loss to Watson in his prime, along with his others.

In fact, the more I think about it the more inclined I am to say Hill quite easily. They were both two division world champions but Hill was a four time, two division champ (two time in both LHW and CW), both had some very fine wins and both had a few bad losses. However, it really wasn't until, Hill was past it that he lost badly, whereas Benn lost badly in his prime. Hill's only loss in his genuine prime was to the top 20/30 (wherever you want to put him) Tommy Hearns in Hill's first outing as LHW champ.

Many people overlook Hill foolishly though as he wasn't a great, popular champ or insane slugging power puncher like Benn.

All up, in two reigns at LHW, Hill made 22 defenses and unified the division. He would also go on to win the CW title from 42-1 Fabrice Tiozzo....I can just hear most saying "Who da fuk is dat dude? Sum Euro bum dat Money Mai would pwn. LAMO!" when in reality, throughout a 50 fight career he only lost twice. Both losses were to Hill, and Tiozzo was himself was a two division, three time champion. He has great wins over Dariusz Michalczewski (the guy that Jones supposedly ducked all that time at LHW), the very fine CW champ Nate Miller, who beat the excellent Orlin Norris for the title, as well as beating Mike McCallum (well before Jones got to him) and Eric Lucas......and they are only a few of his good wins. Hill also won his second CW title from the undefeated 30-0 Valery Brudov.

Hill also has an undefeated 30-0 Henry Maske win to unify the LHW division along with series of other very good wins over such champions like Frank Tate, James Kinchen, Bobby Czyz, Lottie Mwale (this guy is probably unknown here amongst most but was a great fighter and had big wins over an undefeated Tony Sibson, Marvin Johnson, etc), Marvin Camel (two time CW champ), Leslie Stewart etc etc.

The Watson loss was shocking, Benn fought like an idiot in that fight
          I cant really comment on Hill as I'm not very familiar with his career

Comment

Working...
          X