Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White: "Overeem isnīt a top 10 MMA-fighter"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedor's deal fell through because Zuffa offered a contract which Fedor could not possibly accept.

The sambo was indeed one small component, but could have been overcome, probably.

However, Zuffa will only make a deal which completely cuts out all other promoters/managemement outfits (just look at the current Golden Glory situation).

Nevermind that Fedor is 10% owner of M-1.

The idea that M-1 are demanding co-promotion, and with their logos brazened across the UFC octogan, is a misnomer. Fedor would fight in the UFC if there were a reasonable deal in place.

However, Zuffa will not work with anyone who does not sign away all of their rights, let alone working with another company (i.e. M-1 or Golden Glory).

So, Fedor will never fight for the UFC. And he absolutely shouldn't.

Fedor doesn't need Zuffa, he is an international star. He can sell out stadiums from Russia, to Korea, to Japan, and he is also a proven draw in the US as well.

Yes it is unfortunate that he will have trouble securing top opponents. What can you say. I guess it is up to you, you can either blame Fedor for not signing a slave contract, or you can blame the people trying to monopolize the sport at the expence of the athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      I am actually surprised that Reem agreed to fight only MMA, I though t he still wanted to compete in kickboxing. I thought Fedor's deal falling out was that they wouldn't allow him to compete in Sambo.
      A very lucky run in K-1 going up against injured fighters, even his team has pointed this out.

I guess Overeem knew that he couldnt hack it with a healthy K-1 top ten and so decided to leave with his belt without ever defending it.

Comment

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
        A very lucky run in K-1 going up against injured fighters, even his team has pointed this out.

I guess Overeem knew that he couldnt hack it with a healthy K-1 top ten and so decided to leave with his belt without ever defending it.
        I respect Overeem's abilities in a kickboxing ring, and he is without a doubt one of the best strikers in MMA in any weight division, imo.

But, I agree with you his run in K-1 was very fortuitous.

He fought a guy with a broken arm in his semi-finals match in Gohkan Saki, who just came out punching with his one good hand and promptly through in the towel as soon as he received pressure back. In the mean time, on the other side of the bracket, an already well aged Peter Aerts went to absolute hell and back in his victory earning effort against tournament favorite Semmy Schilt. In some ways, that semi-finals match between Aerts and Schilt was the real grade a match on the night.

I don't believe that Overeem would've beat Semmy Schilt, as a personal opinion. Also, a fresh Peter Aerts would've had a great chance to beat Reem (Reem was fresh), and I frankly don't know who would be a favorite in the fight, but the Aerts that fought Reem that night was anything but fresh.

Still, Overeem won the tournament, and it is a big accomplishment. It will always be remembered though that he benefited from luck as well as skill and preparedness, that is just the way things are, and also the way things should be.

Comment

People criticise the boxing HW scene but the MMA HW scene is surely a lot worse. Overeem and Barnett are the only guys I rate. Dos Santos is an unknown quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
            People criticise the boxing HW scene but the MMA HW scene is surely a lot worse. Overeem and Barnett are the only guys I rate. Dos Santos is an unknown quantity.
            You on crack? The HW division is one of MMA's most stacked divisons.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
              Exaclty.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post

Stacked with what? Few if any of them are any good. Velasquez and Lesnar being exhibit A. I don't even think Overeem is that good but unless they bring in Barnett he'll be pissing it in the UFC for years. Who are they going to feed him after Dos Santos? Mir? Kongo? Nelson? Velasquez or Carwin And if you think adding the likes of Sliva and Werdum to the mix make the division 'stacked' you need help.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
                  Stacked with what? Few if any of them are any good. Velasquez and Lesnar being exhibit A. I don't even think Overeem is that good but unless they bring in Barnett he'll be pissing it in the UFC for years. Who are they going to feed him after Dos Santos? Mir? Kongo? Nelson? Velasquez or Carwin And if you think adding the likes of Sliva and Werdum to the mix make the division 'stacked' you need help.
                  Any division in which Roy Nelson can be even a fringe contender is in a bad way.

Not that the guy is talentless, but seriously.

Comment

the only diff between boxings HW and the UFCs HWs.. is looks

vs

Cormier looks better than fast eddie

Comment

Working...
                    X