Joe Frazier vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Frazier vs Larry Holmes

Who do you think would win and why?

I gotta say Holmes does what Foreman did to him but hopefully, in Frazier's prime, not as quick.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      I gotta say Holmes does what Foreman did to him but hopefully, in Frazier's prime, not as quick.
      i agree holmes would win, but not by demolition like foreman.
      it would be a competitive fight, holmes stops him probably in the last rounds.

Comment

Decision for Holmes in a very competitive fight, I certainly rate prime Holmes (circa 1980) to be better than the 1971 Ali that lost to Frazier.

Holme's Jab and uppercut would be key. Larry also had a very good defense against the left hook with his high right hand. Actually from memory, I dont remember him going down from a left hook, Tyson and Shavers hurt him with right hands.

I'd estimate a 9,6 decision something like that. Terrific fight on paper!

Comment

Prime Holmes vs Prime Frazier - replica of Tyson v Holmes.... Frazier KO4

Comment

Hi Sonnyboyx, I dont think too many would agree with you on that one.

The prime Tyson that fought Holmes was far faster than any version of Frazier......and the Holmes that fought him was 38, years out of the ring, rusty and even then was decked with right hands, not left hooks.

Each unto their own.

Comment

I'm sorry, but as much as I respect Frazier and love to watch his fights Holmes is the better fighter of the two.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Hi Sonnyboyx, I dont think too many would agree with you on that one.

The prime Tyson that fought Holmes was far faster than any version of Frazier......and the Holmes that fought him was 38, years out of the ring, rusty and even then was decked with right hands, not left hooks.

Each unto their own.
                Sugarj... i am not looking for anyone to agree with me, i answered the question who would win and how.. i see the fight being similar to Tyson v Holmes.. Holmes never fought anyone in his whole career that was as good as Joe Frazier where as Frazier fought fighters better or as good as Holmes... Up unto his fight with Ken Norton, Holmes was always thought of as having a very weak chin, he was not given much chance of winning the heavyweight title due to his weak chin, when we now look back at the career of Larry Holmes it is fair to say that he fought a hell of a lot of Tomato-Cans`and when he did fight top competition he was often floored or wobbled, many of his top oponents was not really murderous punchers, like Snipes, Bey, Mercer, Arrington, Weaver yet they had Holmes on `queer-street`.. no opponent in his entire career was of the calibre of Smokin`Joe Frazier.. no opponent in his entire career put pressure on and could punch like Smokin`Joe Frazier.. IMO i see Frazier having very little trouble with Holmes and see him bombing him out in around 4rds... Holmes struggled all his career with pressure fighters and no fighter put pressure on like Frazier
                Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Sonnyboyx, I'm suprised that you'd say that Holmes never fought anyone as good as Frazier his entire career. I'd argue that peak Mike Tyson and peak Evander Holyfield were at least of the calibur of Joe Frazier and Larry fought them well past prime and had good moments at least in both fights. Spinks and Witherspoon were good opponents too, and he faced these guys on the slide.

Larry had one of the best chins in heavyweight boxing history. Stopped only once (in how many decades as a fighter?) against prime Tyson in a multi knockdown fourth round when out of the ring for two or three years is no disgrace. The first knockdown was one of the hardest punch impacts I've ever seen, yet Larry kept getting up till the end.

He was labelled 'chinny' very wrongly. Sports writers doubted his heart after the Bobick fight in the amateurs.

I'll never change your mind on a subject and you're very faithful to your faves, but just for my amusement......would you pick prime Jerry Quarry over prime Larry Holmes too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Hi Sonnyboyx, I'm suprised that you'd say that Holmes never fought anyone as good as Frazier his entire career. I'd argue that peak Mike Tyson and peak Evander Holyfield were at least of the calibur of Joe Frazier and Larry fought them well past prime and had good moments at least in both fights. Spinks and Witherspoon were good opponents too, and he faced these guys on the slide.

Larry had one of the best chins in heavyweight boxing history. Stopped only once (in how many decades as a fighter?) against prime Tyson in a multi knockdown fourth round when out of the ring for two or three years is no disgrace. The first knockdown was one of the hardest punch impacts I've ever seen, yet Larry kept getting up till the end.

He was labelled 'chinny' very wrongly. Sports writers doubted his heart after the Bobick fight in the amateurs.

I'll never change your mind on a subject and you're very faithful to your faves, but just for my amusement......would you pick prime Jerry Quarry over prime Larry Holmes too?
                    Howard Cosell called Holmes `chinny` while commentating on his fight with Ibar Arrington, Holmes was very fortunate against Roy`Tiger`Williams and was never thought of as being able to take a punch..

Holmes like you say fought well against both Holyfield & Tyson when he was well past his best, yet IMO they are not Joe Frazier, i respect both Tyson & Holyfield but Frazier applied far more pressure than both of them, Tyson was only 21yrs old when he beat Holmes yet he `smashed him`.. Holyfield vs Holmes was more of a boxing match which as expected the younger guy won... Spinks & Witherspoon are not in the same league as Joe Frazier and IMO i dont think Holmes is either... Holmes was good but Frazier was better.

Quarry vs Holmes would be a great fight, both have completely different styles, i would favor Holmes to win a close decision, but if he was hurt at any time in the fight like he often was then Quarry would most certainly finish him off

i have watched quite a lot of all three fighters, i have around 42 Holmes fights, 23 Frazier fights & 28 Quarry fights on DVD all three are great to watch

Comment

Working...
                    X