Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it fair if Virgil Hill gets voted into the HOF but not Michalczewski?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    You must be confusing undisputed with lineal. It can only be undisputed if there are no other title claimants. If Roy Jones held a title at the same time as Michalczewski then it sure wasn't undisputed.
    thats not true. You dont have to hold all 4 main titles to be regarded as undisputed. I already said Tszyu and Wlad were regarded as undisputed without holding all titles. it has more to do with having 3 titles and being regarded in the media as "undisputed".

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
      thats not true. You dont have to hold all 4 main titles to be regarded as undisputed. I already said Tszyu and Wlad were regarded as undisputed without holding all titles. it has more to do with having 3 titles and being regarded in the media as "undisputed".
      If someone else holds a title, it isn't undisputed. It is as simple as it sounds. Even Muhammad Ali had to beat Ernie Terrell before he was truly the undisputed heavyweight champion.

Comment

Michalczewski was shorn of the WBA and IBF belts he won from Hill in large part because of boxing politics. Those belts would ultimately end up with Roy Jones Jr. The two never fought, leaving an enduring source of debate about the statistical accomplishments of Michalczewski and what might have been.

http://www.bwaa.org/ibhof.htm

You guys have to remember that Michal was stripped of 2 of his 3 belts and they were handle to Jones Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Was Roy ever lineal light heavyweight champion? I thought Michalczewski was the one that became lineal champion in that weight class at that time.
          I've seen a few opinions on that. Some say Hill-Maske and/or Michalczewski-Hill was for the lineal title, meaning Erdei is the current champion. When Erdei went to CW for a fight some people considered it vacant and I think some now have Dawson as lineal champ.

Around the time Roy had most of the belts, The Ring decided that was enough to be the champion, and that's why some people considered Calzaghe the lineal champion (Jones-Tarver-Johnson-Tarver-Hopkins-Calzaghe).

I think Erdei should be considered the champion, but I can't recall the last time he beat a top 10 guy and I'm not sure if he ever beat a top 5 guy. Not much of a champion at all really but it's not for the media to strip someone. The media already give the alphabet belts too much attention, plus obsessing over stupid P4P rankings and awarding The Ring title, and they vote on who gets into the HOF.

Comment

Also at the time that Michal won the 3 belts Jones was not even a champ since he got disqualified in the Griffin fight

Comment

If the bar is set by Barry McGuigan getting in then surely both DM and Hill should get in as well.

That being said, I think the bar needs to be raised.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
                Also at the time that Michal won the 3 belts Jones was not even a champ since he got disqualified in the Griffin fight
                That only means Griffin was the WBC champion. That goes back to the original point that DM was NOT undisputed.
                Last edited by joseph5620; 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Michalzewski was not an undisputed champion. Hopkins was. Hopkins was undisputed until he was 40 (longevity). Michaelzewski was losing to club fighters(Julio Cesar Gonzalez) and struggling with Richard Hall at a much younger age, while never becoming the undisputed champion. You can't compare two.

Let's see your top 5.
                  By the time Hopkins became undisputed middleweight, Michalzewski was retired already.

Comment

Was Juan Diaz or Nate Campbell undisputed?

http://www.boxingscene.com/juan-diaz...s-title--37475

According to this they were

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
                      By the time Hopkins became undisputed middleweight, Michalzewski was retired already.
                      Hopkins was undisputed Champ after beating Holmes in 01', Michalczewski didn't retire till 03'.

Comment

Working...
                      X