No announcement yet.

Belfort Out Of UFC 122; Marquardt Steps In

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belfort Out Of UFC 122; Marquardt Steps In

An injury has forced Vitor Belfort out of his UFC 122 main event fight against Yushin Okami in Germany. In to replace Belfort will be Nate Marquardt, who just picked up a TKO win over Rousimar Palhares at UFC Fight Night 22.

Marquardt's placement in the fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the bout, who stated the fight has been signed for the new main event at UFC 122.

Bouncing back strong from his loss to Chael Sonnen in February, Marquardt made short work of Palhares in their fight last Wednesday night in Austin, Texas.

Following a leg lock attempt from Palhares early in the first round, Marquardt hammered the Brazilian with a punch that rattled him, and then proceeded to finish the fight just seconds later, getting the win at 3:28 into the bout.

The win was Marquardt's ninth in the UFC. The Colorado fighter had stated he hoped to get another fight sooner rather than later following the victory. It looks like he got his wish.

There has been no official word about the injury sustained by Belfort, but MMAWeekly.com will continue to follow the news and provide an update when more information is available.

The bout between Marquardt and Okami will headline UFC 122 in Germany, which will air via tape delay in the United States on ****e TV.

Prior to the change, the fight between Okami and Belfort was to determine a new No. 1 contender to the middleweight title. In all likelihood, the fight between Okami and Marquardt would carry the same stipulation.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2664&zoneid=13

As a Belfort fan, this sucks. Considering his age, a long lay-off like this might mean that when he does finally return he will have significantly declined.

I think it's possible that Belfort is not really injured and that they are doing this so that he can replace Sonnen and face Anderson Silva. Thoughts?

completely agree with the above. Could see this coming from a mile away, they just gonna put him straight into a title fight with Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2664&zoneid=13

As a Belfort fan, this sucks. Considering his age, a long lay-off like this might mean that when he does finally return he will have significantly declined.

I think it's possible that Belfort is not really injured and that they are doing this so that he can replace Sonnen and face Anderson Silva. Thoughts?
      You might be right. What sucks is that I was looking forward to this card since it will be free on S.pike.

I am a Belfort fan too, but to throw him in there against Silva directly is crazy. Sure it will sell and he'll be a good replacement for Sonnen, but that wouldn't be a fair shot for Belfort. His last fight was Sept. 09, so he would have been rusty for Okami anyways.

But Belfort needs a tune up if anyone wants to take his title chances seriously and not just be viewed as a different name to feed Silva.

Just when I start to like Sonnen.........

Comment

This is by design...
        Marquardt v. Okami, winner faces the winner of A. Silva v. Belfort

Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
          This is by design...
          Marquardt v. Okami, winner faces the winner of A. Silva v. Belfort

Not bad.
          Not bad, except Belfort would be rusty as hell. Not to mention he would have recovered from 2 injuries by the time he fights Silva.

And his last fight against Franklin was at 195 last year and he hasn't had to cut to 185 since January 09.

I like the Marquardt-Okami fight though. I just think Belfort is the one getting screwed here.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
            You might be right. What sucks is that I was looking forward to this card since it will be free on S.pike.

I am a Belfort fan too, but to throw him in there against Silva directly is crazy. Sure it will sell and he'll be a good replacement for Sonnen, but that wouldn't be a fair shot for Belfort. His last fight was Sept. 09, so he would have been rusty for Okami anyways.

But Belfort needs a tune up if anyone wants to take his title chances seriously and not just be viewed as a different name to feed Silva.

Just when I start to like Sonnen.........
            Thing with Belfort is though he is so hot and cold you give him a tune up and he could lose. Then you miss out on a big money fight and you got a title fight Silva vs Okami that no one wants to see.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
              Thing with Belfort is though he is so hot and cold you give him a tune up and he could lose. Then you miss out on a big money fight and you got a title fight Silva vs Okami that no one wants to see.
              Belfort's career really is plagued with inconsistency. I actually thought a shot Franklin would upset or at least make Belfort look bad.

So it would make business sense on the UFC's part to throw him in there directly with Silva.

But as a Belfort fan, I'm worried about how the lay off would effect him. And if he loses which is more than likely, how long will it be until he gets a fair title shot when he is actually not rusty and hasn't just recovery from two injuries.

Comment

But is a rusty Belfort really the best opponent the UFC can find for Silva? They've (UFC) been trying to match Silva-Belfort several times and it's been held off because of various injuries to either fight

I agree that it seems like a waste to just throw Belfort into a title fight.

but on another note looking forward to Okami-Marquardt

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
                  Belfort's career really is plagued with inconsistency. I actually thought a shot Franklin would upset or at least make Belfort look bad.

So it would make business sense on the UFC's part to throw him in there directly with Silva.

But as a Belfort fan, I'm worried about how the lay off would effect him. And if he loses which is more than likely, how long will it be until he gets a fair title shot when he is actually not rusty and hasn't just recovery from two injuries.
                  Agreed, wish they would have gave Okami the shot or even Marquardt would be good for Silva because he's fresh and could maybe use the excuse "Chael was on roids when he beat me possibly." Vitor is gonna be rusty as all hell but atleast well get a hell of a brawl! Somebodys getting KO'd! If Beltfort was fresh after beating Okami or if this was right after Franklin it'd be Vitor by KO all the way but I think Anderson takes it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                    Agreed, wish they would have gave Okami the shot or even Marquardt would be good for Silva
                    Okami or Marquardt definitely would have been more appropriate. Too bad the UFC wants cash out Belfort to soon. The main reason why Dana hired him was to give Silva more challengers, not to give Belfort a chance at becoming a star again.

Comment

Working...
                    X