Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Victor Ortiz is Ready, Oscar, Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Victor Ortiz is Ready, Oscar, Marquez

By Robert Morales - It was Tuesday, about 1:20 p.m. in Ventura, Calif, some 60 miles from Los Angeles. Walking around the corner to get to an area behind Knuckleheadz Gym, a reporter is hit by a sea of blue t-shirt-wearing boys and girls from Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

They were there to see welterweight world champion Victor Ortiz, who was named national spokesman for the organization, which has 370 agencies nationwide and serves 250,000 youths per year. It's a match made in heaven since Ortiz was abandoned by his parents as a boy.

In speaking with Ortiz, he seemed truly inspired about working with a company that is over 100 years old.

"It means quite a bit, man," said Ortiz, of Ventura via Garden City, Kan. "Some of these kids, they've grown up just like I have - no direction, no guidance and just to be part of that, then hey, if I can be make a difference in somebody's life, why not go ahead and do something?"

Hector Cortez is Chief Diversity Officer for Big Brothers Big Sisters. He said Ortiz became involved with the organization about a year ago, doing personal appearances at some of its events in the greater Los Angeles area.

"A little over four months ago, we had a conversation and he said, 'I want to do much more,' " said Cortez, who is stationed in Philadelphia. "And he agreed to talk about being our national ambassador for Big Brothers Big Sisters."

Cortez said 18 percent of the 250,000 youths represented annually by Big Brothers Big Sisters are Latino; nearly 70 percent in the Ventura County chapter are Latino. Cortez agreed Ortiz is a perfect fit.

"One of the things he says on tape is, 'It's not how you get knocked down, its how you get up,' right?" Cortez said. "And our kids see that every single day. They get knocked down in school, in the community - sometimes by their peers - and Victor shows them you don't have to stay down; you can get up. [Click Here To Read More]

for the last DAMN TIME - 40 HAVE TRIED, and 40 HAVE FAILED! JLC x 2. . . lol it's not that big of a deal, but it's just annoying because by now you would think they would have picked up on it. . . .

Comment

omg community, kids, blah blah blah-- it's like, what is this YMCA????

i swear everything w/ ortiz is wah my childhood, wah give back to the community-- it's just crap the public relations chick told him to say. just stop it!

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
        omg community, kids, blah blah blah-- it's like, what is this YMCA????

i swear everything w/ ortiz is wah my childhood, wah give back to the community-- it's just crap the public relations chick told him to say. just stop it!
        Its a great rags to riches story that I've heard over and over again and I'm kinda bored of it too. But plenty of other people will be hearing it for the first time and will be inspired by it. If it helps inspire even one kid to do something with their life then I will gladly continue to read and listen to Victor Ortiz's story.

Comment

forget the floyd vs victor fight.what the hell was oscar drinking that made
          him slap on some fishnets and panties. it makes me scared to have a beer.

Comment

Working...
          X