Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chavez Sr. was nothing but a brawler with no defense or boxing skills...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The defensive skills that Chavez had are exactly the tools that many Mexican fighters who idolized him and mimicked his style have neglected. Many fighters can mold their style and attitude after Chavez and be come forward fighters and ignore Sr's defensive skills, but how many have really done that and made it all the way to the elite level? Not that many, and I'm sure Margarito will come to mind. However, the only one who I think had truly employed a Chavez type style offensively AND defensively has been Castillo. It's extremely hard to make it to the top level of boxing just being a come forward brawler - most of the HOF "brawlers" people have mentioned had subtle things they did to preserve themselves during the course of a fight.

Them having incredible chins as well makes up for whatever other deficiencies they may have had. Still, even with an iron chin nobody is just gonna walk thru punches at the top level and still have the longevity of a 100 bouts and not end up being badly hurt, KOed numerous times, or suffering injuries like a Margarito-type brawler.
    Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      That is absolutely ******ed, anyone who has seen a lot of Hagler knows that his 2 most famous fights (Leonard and Hearns) were out of character for him, not to mention he was past prime in that fight. Most of the time he would methodically break down opponents behind his excellent jab and counter without taking much damage. He didn't really have one classification because he was so versatile but you could call him a counter-puncher.
      Rube I watched Hagler plenty and he would box more against guys that werent as good as him and he knew it but the fight with SRL is a good look at what he would do against elite comp. It was brawler type **** and he was good at it. I said very clearly that he did have a good jab but also late in fights he always went to what was natural and that is brawling and ring cutting. You're describing the first half of his fights and Im describing the second half of his fights. Dont understand your disgust. He didnt have to take punches in quite a few fights because he could box.

Comment

Originally posted by J-H View Post
        Laporte had a much better chin than Chavez and also should have won that fight btw.
        which one of you do I Red K if you annoy the **** outta me?

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
          Rube I watched Hagler plenty and he would box more against guys that werent as good as him and he knew it but the fight with SRL is a good look at what he would do against elite comp. It was brawler type **** and he was good at it. I said very clearly that he did have a good jab but also late in fights he always went to what was natural and that is brawling and ring cutting. You're describing the first half of his fights and Im describing the second half of his fights. Dont understand your disgust. He didnt have to take punches in quite a few fights because he could box.
          One thing that I hate about Hagler is that he was not adept at cutting the ring off.

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
            One thing that I hate about Hagler is that he was not adept at cutting the ring off.
            Didn't look that way in the Hearns fight. And a lot of others.

Comment

Chavez had a subtle defence and threw excellent combinations up and down while cutting the ring off..... Thats skill. Just because a guy dont dance around the ring in reverse and use a flashy defence like the shoulder roll then it dosnt mean he is a no skill having punchbag

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
                I thought he was pretty good at cutting off the ring. He did follow Leonard though which allowed him to pitty pat the judges in his favor. I still think he won.

Comment

Chavez' defense declined markedly with his move to Junior Welterweight.

Comment

Working...
                  X