Past Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of them

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    Last edited by Capaedia; 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Capaedia;12630290]
      Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby

All of them

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

a lot of those fights have even made it to youtube.

robinson's MW tenure (the 50's) was quite well filmed.

trojans is the history section's eccentric.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
        Its one thing to watch shytty quality videos of 4 full fights and a couple of highlights of Sugar Ray Robinson. As opposed to 40 fights of Bernard Hopkins. More often than not the guy with the tiny sample size is going to look awesome.

And yes athletes as a whole have evolved. The top 16 year olds today run faster than most of the guys in the Olympics did in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.
        I still havent seen anyone as fast as SRR...

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          What's funny is that you can't conceive that a fighter from the mid 50s (Marciano) could beat a fighter from the mid 80s (Tyson)... yet I can almost guarantee that you'd scoff at the notion that a fighter from today (early/mid 2010s) could beat a fighter from the mid 80s (Tyson).

Tyson's "prime" was nearly 30 years ago, and I doubt you'd pick any fighter since then to beat him.

You claim that fighters from yesteryear are "overrated" without introducing a scrap of evidence to support that claim.

And yes, Joe Louis would mop the floor with Lennox Lewis.
          I wont say who would win between Joe Louis and Lennox Lewis, there were guys as big as Lewis back then but they were not as good as Lennox, or at least they werent as successful. What I will say is that there is simply no comparison pound for pound,, or in skills or KO ability...... Joe Louis in my view is at least 5 times better fighter than Lennox in just about every department especially speed and nous, Joe Louis was the ONE and ONLY HW champion for over a decade, and some of those bums of the month were far from bums.

Comment

The old guys like Sugar Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong who retired before 99% of this board was born are more revered because every fighter sounds amazing when you only read about them and here stories from your grandfather as opposed to actually watching them fight.

I also think that for whatever reason boxing fans just have trouble coming to terms that athletes have evolved over time.
            Evolved to what exactly ?.... heres something you dont know......... in the old days, say pre 60's one thing a fighter must have to enjoy any king of success was value to the paying crowd, you couldnt just go out and cruise at second gear because you are Floyd Mayweather fighting a much slower plodding guy who is too afraid to commit himself to seriously trying 100 per cent to destroying Floyd even at risk of his own life.... If Floyd or any modern boxer did that a few times, it wouldnt matter if the guy had lost one fight in his 30... no promoter would book you because the crowds would go berserk.. just look at how many roughnecks like Battling Nelson were so famously popular back then... oh how popular would a Battling Nelson type be today.. he'd be worth 100 million bucks just for losing let alone winning..... and those guys did it for not a real lot,, only a few fighters before 1950 got rich.--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------. but what I am saying is that expectations of the fans were wayyyyyyy higher way back when. crowds were also many times more knowledgeable and impatient if the action slowed. boxing was once almost the only show in town, in places like Maitland it WAS THE ONLY ENTERTAINMENT on a weekly basis. to be a world champ in any of the 8 divisions you were famous on a scale a modern could only dream about. After all in 1900 - somewhere in the 50's, boxing was the biggest sport on earth... almost everyone was a fight fan in 1920.

Comment

Its one thing to watch shytty quality videos of 4 full fights and a couple of highlights of Sugar Ray Robinson. As opposed to 40 fights of Bernard Hopkins. More often than not the guy with the tiny sample size is going to look awesome.

And yes athletes as a whole have evolved. The top 16 year olds today run faster than most of the guys in the Olympics did in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.
              so its Harry Grebs fault he lived in an era where most films will simply turn to powder within 30 years of the fights ?... is it Eddie McGoortty's fault that only one round of his extensive career survives,,,,,, is it even fair that in the round that survives he is getting his butt kicked and knocked down 4 times and with the last blow hes blasted into a pile of human remains half dead by one of the all time best Middleweights ?... nope, not fair that Frank Klaus, and hundreds of other noteworthy fighters... hell, for half of the entire history of boxing film hadnt even been invented, we know men have been capable at fighting since year dot. Just cos you didnt see the battle of Waterloo doesnt mean that all those people didnt die that day... Floyd Mayweather would be Floyd Mayweather in 1880 or any other time.. film does not make a fight. its just a privledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Riggsy Pooh View Post
                I still havent seen anyone as fast as SRR...
                Yep and there are many in the history of sport like SRR.. Don Bradman is the stellar example. that guy was twice as good as any batsman to ever live, before or since, and he began playing Test Cricket in 1928... I can say this because cricket is like baseball, statisics are almost impossible to argue with, and no one but a blithering idiot would ever suggest there has been a better player since he retired, maybe Bradman is an anomaly, a once in a millenium talent, I dont know, I do know I cant find a predecessor to him that was close to half as good, so maybe he is on his own in sports .. apart from Walter Lindrum in billiards,,, also a game dominated by statistics, Boxing is way different to billiards and cricket, and there may actually be a GOAT in boxing but the difference between the top 20 (whoever they are ) of all time guys is minimal and intangible.

Comment

[QUOTE=Capaedia;12630197]lol..... nice comeback, best since ray leonards

Comment

[QUOTE=SCtrojansbaby;12630211]
                    Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

How many of those are full fights?
                    LOL, I just knew thats exactly what you would say. Man why are you still here spamming threads in the HISTORY section... please look up the word HISTORY in your dictionary, its a key word as to why most of us visit this HISTORY forum. I seriously think you do this just to annoy us.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                      Here are a couple Sugar Ray Robinson fights I recorded off espn classic. They are complete and the links are still working.

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Denny Moyer - 1961

http://filecloud.io/2ink1f9b

Ray Robinson vs Denny Moyer II - 1962

http://filecloud.io/ku56ymli

I have a ton of Robinson fights but for the trading block I have been supplying them with recently converted espn classic fights for months now.
                      If you ever want to see all the classics I have been uploading look at my threads started list;
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/se...&starteronly=1
                      Thank you very much for all that.

Comment

Working...
                      X