LMAO! Duran - Leonard Commercials

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonnyBlayze View Post
    ehh no, if they know those guys, they know floyd and manny

if they dont know floyd and manny, they dont know anyone at all in boxing, except maybe mike tyson or ali
    Boxing used to be so much bigger than what you obviously think.

A HW title fight was watched by every male across nearly all western countries. It was shown on free TV when boxing was among the most internationally known sports and watched by as many people as football etc.

Unless you remember it or lived during those times, it seems nearly impossible to understand how much bigger it was.

During the 60/70s it was normal to have a family night watching boxing on TV. Most people/families did it.

Back when Marciano, Louis, Dempsey, etc were champions every single person knew who they were. It was like knowing who Tiger Woods is nearly. Everyone listened to the fights on radio, watched them on TV. So, so different. It was a massive worldwide sport followed closely by just about every major country.

Also, you're just flat out wrong. If you showed a bunch of guys from the fifties a pic of Sonny Liston, they'd tell you exactly who he is. People who watch boxing or are associated with it would know Floyd and Pac, otherwise very few would. It's just a sad fact of what our favourite sport has become.

Think of all the guys who were on TV all the time just back in the 70s and 80s. Carlos Palomino was recognised as the face of Miller Lite, as were Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini in various ads.

Roberto Duran appeared in Rocky, Miami Vice and other TV shows, movies and commercials. Boxers were like every sportsmen today in basketball, football, soccer etc. Everyone over here immediately recognises Jeff Fenech, Lester Ellis, Barry Michael, Johnny Famechon, Lionel Rose because they were all over TV every week. Hell, even Tony Mundine (Anthony Mundine's dad) was widely knonw because he was always on TV Ringside; a weekly boxing show that was one of the most watched shows of anything sports or general during the 60s, 70s and early 80s.
    Last edited by BennyST; 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Show them a pic of Oscar, Ali, Leonard, Tyson, Duran, Chavez, Holyfield etc and they know who it is immediately. I even remember some guys crapping on about Pac doing more and being bigger and more known worldwide than Ali.
        Oh yeah...Chavez, the Australian icon.

Oscar and Duran aren't household names outside of USA either, but hey let's not stop the hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
          complete truth man.
          great vids posted up as well.
          You know this was filmed just before the No Mas fight?

Yeah! That early in their careers.

They had the deal to get the 7-up commerical and Leonard was like,

"No way am I gonna do the commercial unless Duran promises no cussin in fron to ma son!"

So sweet seeing that.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Boxing used to be so much bigger than what you obviously think.

A HW title fight was watched by every male across nearly all western countries. It was shown on free TV when boxing was among the most internationally known sports and watched by as many people as football etc.

Unless you remember it or lived during those times, it seems nearly impossible to understand how much bigger it was.

During the 60/70s it was normal to have a family night watching boxing on TV. Most people/families did it.

Back when Marciano, Louis, Dempsey, etc were champions every single person knew who they were. It was like knowing who Tiger Woods is nearly. Everyone listened to the fights on radio, watched them on TV. So, so different. It was a massive worldwide sport followed closely by just about every major country.

Also, you're just flat out wrong. If you showed a bunch of guys from the fifties a pic of Sonny Liston, they'd tell you exactly who he is. People who watch boxing or are associated with it would know Floyd and Pac, otherwise very few would. It's just a sad fact of what our favourite sport has become.
            i read maybe the first three paragraphs
            and im thinkin wht the hell are u talkin about? unless you meant if BACK IN THE DAYS you went upto someone and showed them a pick of pac/floyd as oppossed to leonard, duran etc nobody would know them, well then there you would be right

but i doubt you meant it like that, you meant if i today, was to go out and show posters of pac/floyd and then leonard, duran etc they would only know the older guys

how do you expect some random guy in the streets TODAY to know leonard, ali, duran, tyson, holyfield, chavez, oscar etc and not know pac/floyd? if they know all those guys they gotta follow boxing in one way or another

and if they dont know floyd and manny, they dont know anyone at all in boxing, except maybe mike tyson or ali

obviously not as many people follow boxing nowadays, but that doesn't mean todays people know more of those old fighters than current superstars like pac/floyd

Comment

MEHICO!

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyBlayze View Post
                i read maybe the first three paragraphs
                and im thinkin wht the hell are u talkin about? unless you meant if BACK IN THE DAYS you went upto someone and showed them a pick of pac/floyd as oppossed to leonard, duran etc nobody would know them, well then there you would be right

but i doubt you meant it like that, you meant if i today, was to go out and show posters of pac/floyd and then leonard, duran etc they would only know the older guys

how do you expect some random guy in the streets TODAY to know leonard, ali, duran, tyson, holyfield, chavez, oscar etc and not know pac/floyd? if they know all those guys they gotta follow boxing in one way or another

and if they dont know floyd and manny, they dont know anyone at all in boxing, except maybe mike tyson or ali

obviously not as many people follow boxing nowadays, but that doesn't mean todays people know more of those old fighters than current superstars like pac/floyd
                My dad knows who all those guys I bolded are. He wouldn't recognise a pic of Floyd or Pac and he sin't bliond he just doesn't follow boxing as much as he used to.

In fact he prefers to watch old fights I put on DVD for him!

Comment

this one is good

Last edited by SplitSecond; 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
                    My dad knows who all those guys I bolded are. He wouldn't recognise a pic of Floyd or Pac and he sin't bliond he just doesn't follow boxing as much as he used to.

In fact he prefers to watch old fights I put on DVD for him!
                    yep, if we were to focus our "random" search to old people, maybe

Comment

There's NO comparison between Mike Tyson and any other boxer in my experience in the UK
                      Everyone I can think of would know who Mike Tyson is
                      I've had one experience of somebody my age not knowing who Muhammad Ali was, but he's clearly massively famous... if not even more than Tyson with older generations.
                      Last edited by TRAV1$; 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X