No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abner Mares Targets Ponce De Leon vs. Velez Winner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Abner Mares Targets Ponce De Leon vs. Velez Winner

Former champion Abner Mares (25-0-1, 13KOs) is looking for his third world championship. After winning titles at bantamweight and super bantamweight, Mares has set his sights on a the WBC's featherweight crown. A few weeks ago Mares vacated WBC title at super bantamweight and announced his plan to move up in weight to 126-pounds.

According to Mares' manager, Frank Espinoza, Abner will debut at featherweight in mid-April on U.S. soil against a yet to be determined opponent.
    [Click Here To Read More]

If Donaire and Top Rank don't want to fight, than I have no problem with this. I'd love to see Mares fight the winner of this fight.

Comment

both beat him imo

Comment

I don't understand what's gonna happen with Russell Jr. Everybody wants a piece of Ponce. Jhonny got the rematch clause, Russell Jr was supposed to fight the winner of Ponce - Velez and now Mares too.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
          I don't understand what's gonna happen with Russell Jr. Everybody wants a piece of Ponce. Jhonny got the rematch clause, Russell Jr was supposed to fight the winner of Ponce - Velez and now Mares too.

I can see Russell fighting someone like Caballero as his first step up, assuming Caballero actually wants to fight someone at some point. Russell-Mares will happen in the next couple years at 126, and Russell (if he's as good as advertised), will mop the floor with Mares. And I'm a big Mares fan, but that's how much I believe in Russell's ability.

Comment

Cool match up

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              Cool match up
              not really mares is too small for FW and doesn't have power to keep guys like gonzalez and ponce from TKO/KO him

Comment

Originally posted by Snake... View Post
                not really mares is too small for FW and doesn't have power to keep guys like gonzalez and ponce from TKO/KO him
                They are both the same size...... Ponce just has more power

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post

youre talking about the wbc here...so whether russell jr deserves the shot more or not , mares will get his shot before he does , thats for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake...

They are both the same size...... Ponce just has more power
                    I don't think so. Same height, yes but size? Nah. I think Ponce packs more muscle/mass. He's been at 126 longer and has fought at 130 too.

Comment

Working...
                    X