4 Point Scoring Criteria

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
    Caveat

Good breakdown. I like this post a lot. I'll see if I can give you green K for it.

One fighter in the history of championship fights has gone an entire round without landing a punch, and it was only one round. In addition, it was a guy who started as a lightweight fighting the second coming of Robinson at 168.

Not a big risk of a 0-0 round anytime soon.

This mentality is what has ruined Olympic boxing, and why it sucks watching punches scored.

A Cory Spinks jab does not get the same credence as a Kirkland right hand... sorry, that 1-1 punch count goes Kirkland's way 100% of the time.

You could also say that you can't help that one fighter isn't as fast as his opponent so it should be punches landed in relation to their quickness on a percentage scale, but that makes no sense.

It really is a gladiator sport, with rules. The guy who hurts the other guy more than his opponent did should probably win the round.
    What I mean is I dont think damage is the only criteria like what Max said about who would you rather be. Case in point if a guy is dominating a round but does take say one good hard punch or if a guy is dominating a round and the other guy scores a knockdown, most time the guy scoring the knockdown will get a 10-9 round instead of 10-8 because he was getting dominated even though technically he did more damage for the round by scoring the knockdown, a round that comes to mind is the Barrera/Marquez round in which although not credited to him, Barrera knocked Marquez down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
      What I mean is I dont think damage is the only criteria like what Max said about who would you rather be. Case in point if a guy is dominating a round but does take say one good hard punch or if a guy is dominating a round and the other guy scores a knockdown, most time the guy scoring the knockdown will get a 10-9 round instead of 10-8 because he was getting dominated even though technically he did more damage for the round by scoring the knockdown, a round that comes to mind is the Barrera/Marquez round in which although not credited to him, Barrera knocked Marquez down.
      Knockdowns are the exception, because the guy who knocks someone down has to get 10 points, which is irritating. I would have scored round 4 of Adamek-Cunningham 10-9 for Cunningham instead of Adamek (that was the round Cunningham was killing him for 2 minutes... like beating him to death, seriously, and then Adamek knocked him down at the end of the round).

If a guy lands a slew of punches and gets caught with one big shot, he better have put enough power on that bunch of shots in order to outweigh one shot, or he needs to hit the weights.

For instance, Urango was outlanded by Ngoudjo in more than a couple of rounds that I gave to Urango, because it was just so obvious that Urango was getting the best of the bout with his ridiculous power and good chin.

Comment

Knockdowns are the exception, because the guy who knocks someone down has to get 10 points, which is irritating. I would have scored round 4 of Adamek-Cunningham 10-9 for Cunningham instead of Adamek (that was the round Cunningham was killing him for 2 minutes... like beating him to death, seriously, and then Adamek knocked him down at the end of the round).

If a guy lands a slew of punches and gets caught with one big shot, he better have put enough power on that bunch of shots in order to outweigh one shot, or he needs to hit the weights.

For instance, Urango was outlanded by Ngoudjo in more than a couple of rounds that I gave to Urango, because it was just so obvious that Urango was getting the best of the bout with his ridiculous power and good chin.
        Yea I pretty much agree.

Comment

Yea I pretty much agree.
          Solid.

I mean, there is also the inherent view of a round that if someone is landing a ton more punches, they will probably get the round unless the volume puncher is hurt or whatever.

A couple of big right hands will probably not get the nod, even if they were the hardest punches in the round if 20 punches land on the other side.

Comment

Solid.

I mean, there is also the inherent view of a round that if someone is landing a ton more punches, they will probably get the round unless the volume puncher is hurt or whatever.

A couple of big right hands will probably not get the nod, even if they were the hardest punches in the round if 20 punches land on the other side.
            How did you score the fight tonight?

Comment

How did you score the fight tonight?
              I don't really score to be honest... it's kind of ironic that I made a thread about it.

But in reality, I was busy talking to my best friend that has been out of town for a week and a half, so I wasn't paying enough attention to really score.

I also have ADD pretty bad, so I miss things, and generally am not comfortable with my scoring, so I just don't do it. I am just terrible at scoring when the rounds are close... I can only score the lopsided rounds.

It also takes away from my enjoyment of the fights.

It's fun to discuss the theories behind scoring though.

Comment

I don't really score to be honest... it's kind of ironic that I made a thread about it.

But in reality, I was busy talking to my best friend that has been out of town for a week and a half, so I wasn't paying enough attention to really score.

I also have ADD pretty bad, so I miss things, and generally am not comfortable with my scoring, so I just don't do it. I am just terrible at scoring when the rounds are close... I can only score the lopsided rounds.

It also takes away from my enjoyment of the fights.

It's fun to discuss the theories behind scoring though.
                I pretty much felt the scoring would be all over the place, because Peter wasnt really landing much of anything clean and Chambers was but he wasnt all that busy. 99-91 I actually can understand, cant understand the other scores.

Comment

I pretty much felt the scoring would be all over the place, because Peter wasnt really landing much of anything clean and Chambers was but he wasnt all that busy. 99-91 I actually can understand, cant understand the other scores.
                  Like I said, I really wasn't paying close enough attention to have any faith in my scoring, but... it looked to me like Chambers was winning almost every round with his extremely fast jab.

Damn his jab is fast for a heavyweight.

Comment

Working...
                  X