Degale v Froch? Bunce breaks down Froch's options

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degale v Froch? Bunce breaks down Froch's options

Froch v DeGale the standout British fight

Carl Froch is weighing up his next move - and it seems like a fight with Lucian Bute is still just about alive. Bute's people are saying a double-header against Froch will happen in 2012, even if American TV companies aren't interested.

I think there's a bit of poker playing going on here, with Bute's camp being stubborn to try and force the hand of American TV. One thing's for sure: if Carl is going to take the contest, he needs to start getting ready for it right away.

But listen, I think it's the wrong match-up. The one that makes sense for me is a homecoming fight in Nottingham during May against one of half a dozen very respectable super-middleweights. The argument against that, proposed by Froch's promoter Eddie Hearn, is that Carl can't get up for anything other than a massive bout - which could very well be true.

However, the bottom line is that when he fought Glen Johnson last year, it wasn't a massive fight by any stretch: it took place in a very small hall in Atlantic City, and pretty much went under the radar. If he got up for that, why can't he get up for a massive, 8,000-capacity crowd in Nottingham?

In an ideal world he would face Mikkel Kessler, who beat him in 2010 and who fights for the WBO title in a couple of months. But Kessler won't be available for a May date - and, despite what he's said in the past, it would take a lot for him to travel to face Froch. Kessler commands fortunes in Denmark; I'm not sure that the Hearn/Froch/Sky triangle has the cash to match that. Not a criticism, just economics.

What Hearn and Froch need to do is, firstly, look at the top 15 fighters listed by each of the sanctioning bodies, and then start to think which contests are feasible. Next you put out teasers on social media and various websites, and see what the reaction is. That's what a lot of promoters do: they put out names, and if they get shot to bits, they're hastily withdrawn. Hey, it makes a lot of sense!

If they do employ my method of finding an opponent, then two names are going to stand out: James DeGale and George Groves. For me, the best bit of British promotion available in the next six months is Froch v DeGale. Have it at a football stadium and it would attract an attendance of 30,000 - no problem at all.

I've said this before in this column, but make no apologies for repeating: more British fight fans paid to watch Groves v DeGale last year than have paid to watch any of Froch's last six fights. DeGale - and by the way, who knows what he's doing next - is an Olympian and a big name; people want to see this fight. Don't worry about that. Froch has kicked into touch a fight with WBO light-heavy champion Nathan Cleverly.

And if I was a young super-middleweight and looked at Carl Froch's last two fights, I'd think Froch may well have peaked, he may well be ready for plucking.

Purists will say Kessler, Andre Ward or Andre Dirrell is the big fight on offer for Froch - forget it, the big one is an all-British fight. Always has been, always will be.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/133748.html

I like the idea of Froch v DeGale as a summer prelude to Froch taking on Kessler again in the winter(Froch v Kessler 1 was great fun to watch).The DeGale fight would be very big in Britain and should be big enough to keep Froch interested if he has problems getting motivated for "small" fights.DeGale would also leap in the rankings and world title shot opportunities if he could pull it off!

Im not crazy on seeing Froch v Bute (twice) till we see how Carl bounces back from the Ward defeat

Comment

I agree with Bunce. A homecoming in Nottingham would make the most sense and hey; Froch has deserved it for sure.

A big domestic fight would be great for british boxing and DeGale would be an excellent choice in that regard.

After that there's plenty of options. Bute will still be there. So would Kessler (and Stieglitz if he should beat the dane). The winner of the upcoming Balszay-Sartison fight (for WBA's bogus regular title) could also give a title. Should dane Rudy Markussen beat Brian Magee for the WBA (even more) bogus interim title that could give Froch a decent payday against another dane. Magee would probably not be worth Froch's while.

Comment

How can we push this fight forward as fans?

Would be great

Comment

Froch would slaughter that dude.

Comment

bunce is trashed.
            i really like the guy, but he's a wildman. he's a lot of fun

still, though
            i like this fight a lot

it would be very exciting
            and domestically in GB it couldn't get much more significant

Comment

Great fight. Doubt it'll happen though. if degale joins eddie hearn does that make this fight more likely?

Comment

Would anyone wanna see Froch vs Pavlik? Or Froch Bika, if we're talking about a homecoming fight?

Comment

degale has already proven in his last two fight that he's not ready to step up yet. at least fight groves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
                    Would anyone wanna see Froch vs Pavlik? Or Froch Bika, if we're talking about a homecoming fight?
                    Any of those fights would be fight of the year candidates IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X