No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sarmiento Confident of Cayo's Chances With Peterson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sarmiento Confident of Cayo's Chances With Peterson

2010 was a banner year for trainer Gabriel Sarmiento, who guided Argentinean terror Sergio Martinez to two thrilling victories over Kelly Pavlik, a fight that netted Martinez the mantle as the world’s best middleweight, and Paul Williams, a fight in which Martinez recorded a highlight-reel knockout. Martinez was deemed the 2010 Fight of the Year by the Boxing Writer’s Association of America and Sarmiento followed suit by collecting accolades for the year’s best trainer.

[Click Here To Read More]

I dont think hes facing legal problems in Argentina I think you meant Spain.

Comment

Sarmiento is not a good trainer. He has a good fighter in Martinez because Martinez is a good athlete. Fact is Martinez is a very technically unsound fighter. And if Sarmiento has been with him since the Margarito loss than he hasn't corrected him much. Once Martinez starts slowing down he'll most likely suffer the same fate Roy Jones Jr. did. He'll have a very hard time fighting past his prime ala Hopkins, Barrera, Cotto, and Morales because he never learned the fundamentals (if he knows them, it doesn't show).

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
        Sarmiento is not a good trainer. He has a good fighter in Martinez because Martinez is a good athlete. Fact is Martinez is a very technically unsound fighter. And if Sarmiento has been with him since the Margarito loss than he hasn't corrected him much. Once Martinez starts slowing down he'll most likely suffer the same fate Roy Jones Jr. did. He'll have a very hard time fighting past his prime ala Hopkins, Barrera, Cotto, and Morales because he never learned the fundamentals (if he knows them, it doesn't show).
        I disagree, Sarmiento is a good trainer. Have you seen how he developed Matthysee from a slugger to a boxer/puncher or his prospect Javier Fortuna who is coming off an amazing win knocking out Derrick Wilson. Now I didn't like his game plan for Cayo in the Maidana fight, dunno why he stayed in front of Chino as if he is built like a banger. But to say he is not a good trainer is crazy.

Did you see his game plan for Martinez vs Pavlik, Pavlik started coming on in the late rounds and they switched to plan B which was double up the combos and it worked. He is a damn good trainer if u ask me.

Comment

didn't know sarmiento was free to leave spain, good for him. tough fight for cayo, hopefully he comes out with the W.

Comment

Working...
          X