Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay sparring with Ingemar Johansson

Where I found it from:

http://www.boxpres.com/?p=3219
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM.

thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

Where I found it from:

http://www.boxpres.com/?p=3219
      Cool i have been looking for a clip of Ali sparring ingo.

Comment

Yes,a young 19 year old Cassius Clay with only 4 pro fights showed up Johansson and made him look silly.Clay was thrown out of Johansson's camp for doing so.Johansson was Heavyweight Champion of the world at the time!

Ali was acually trying to get a real fight with Johansson.Someone acually put up $100,000 dollars for Johansson,but he turned it down.Most boxing trainers and experts at the time thought Clay could beat him.

Comment

Looks to me as if this clip is from "Skills, brains and guts". A fine Ali documentary with nice rare footage. I think it was made by Jacobs and Cayton.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Looks to me as if this clip is from "Skills, brains and guts". A fine Ali documentary with nice rare footage. I think it was made by Jacobs and Cayton.
            Where can I find it? If you have it can you please upload it?

Comment

Originally posted by Two Clips View Post
              Where can I find it? If you have it can you please upload it?
              I don't know if I have it any more. I lost 1,000 hours of fights on VHS when the cellar flooded a couple years ago.

I haven't checked the remains so I guess the answer is negative.

Comment

I don't know if I have it any more. I lost 1,000 hours of fights on VHS when the cellar flooded a couple years ago.

damn man, you must of been real pissed off!

Comment

Ah thats cool man I just search around for it. That sucks about the flood though.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
                    Yes,a young 19 year old Cassius Clay with only 4 pro fights showed up Johansson and made him look silly.Clay was thrown out of Johansson's camp for doing so.Johansson was Heavyweight Champion of the world at the time!

Ali was acually trying to get a real fight with Johansson.Someone acually put up $100,000 dollars for Johansson,but he turned it down.Most boxing trainers and experts at the time thought Clay could beat him.
                    Johansson wasn't champion then, he was training for the third Patterson fight.

I wouldn't give a green 4-0 Cassius Clay much chance of beating Johansson, or any top contender for that matter. Dundee had a lot of respect for Ingo's right hand, and I very much doubt he'd risk his raw prospect being clobbered with that in a real fight. According to Johansson, Dundee was actually there during the session shouting at him not to throw his right.

Ultimately, not much can be read into a sparring session where a young, swift amateur runs rings around an older, slower pro for two rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X