No announcement yet.

I know nothing of boxing, any help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know nothing of boxing, any help.

So I'm a beginner starting from scratch on boxing. Recently I'm going through a new life stage and I've always wanted to try boxing but never had the attitude and motivation to do it until now. The problem is? I'm a student and I'm both short on time and money.

I looked up a local boxing club near me but to be honest it was far too expensive for me at the moment, maybe in the future but in the near future I don't see it possible. Alternatively, I was looking up punching bags and I found a good deal for about 100 dollars including gloves for a 70kg bag. Now my question is, can I learn on my own or from youtube if I decide to buy it? I know I won't get the technique perfect but I'm not looking to become a boxer, just to train and exercise like one. Also, how much do you guys recommend on getting a boxing bag for home? I guess I just need a little bit of direction, ideally I'd join a boxing gym but like I said, it seems pretty unlikely at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

youtube
    mirror
    shadow box

Comment

you need direction at the start more than at any other time, so you don't pick up bad habits. it takes more effort to reverse a bad habit than it does to learn it properly in the first place

Comment

Boxing is one of the cheapest and most effective forms of fighting to learn. If your local gym is in a jiu jitsu/MMA dojo, you'll pay out the nose.

If it's a golden gloves team, you'll likely pay gym dues and that's it.

I've been around to a lot of gyms and have done a lot of different type of training. I say unequivocally that the best training I ever got was essentially for free from boxing and wrestling coaches who volunteered their time.

But to really learn, you need a real trainer, not videos. You need someone showing you in person and guiding you. Someone who can see what you're doing and correct it on the spot in real time. Teaching you what you need to know when you need to know it. And you need sparring.

Dig deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535
          youtube
          mirror
          shadow box
          He is going to be drilling nonsense and then eventually walk into a gym with a bag of bad habits. OP just run, do situps and stay in shape. You can't learn anything correctly without a trainer.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
            He is going to be drilling nonsense and then eventually walk into a gym with a bag of bad habits. OP just run, do situps and stay in shape. You can't learn anything correctly without a trainer.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            thats how i started... and both gyms had me sparring almost right away :P

maybe it doesnt work for everyone.. but given that he cant afford to join a gym yet (as he clearly stated), and who knows, maybe hes talented like me AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa
            #boastPost

Comment

Working...
            X