No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Devon Alexander and Adrien Broner Dazzle in St. Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Devon Alexander and Adrien Broner Dazzle in St. Louis

By Ryan Maquiñana - With his hometown crowd in full support, Devon Alexander’s handspeed, footwork, and precision punching carried him to a unanimous decision victory over Marcos Maidana at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo., Saturday night.

“Speed kills,” Alexander said. “I'm working hard for St. Louis and to be the best in the world."

Both former 140-pound titlists moved up to welterweight for this fight, and the age-old matchup between a southpaw boxer in Alexander (23-1, 13 KOs) and a pure orthodox pressure fighter in Maidana (31-3, 28 KOs) would play out as expected—just not in such a lopsided manner.

"We train hard,” Alexander told HBO ringside commentator Max Kellerman. “Like I told you in the fighters' meeting, I was able to analyze myself and what I was doing wrong and we got the victory.”

After an ugly technical decision defeat to Tim Bradley and so-so performance in a razor-sharp split nod over Lucas Matthysse, Alexander and longtime trainer Kevin Cunningham were determined to put a subpar 2011 behind them and start the year by making a statement. [Click Here To Read More]

It was a good card & they both did what they had to do to win & looked really good at it!

Comment

great night of boxing for america. great fights, great up in coming fighters. what more can u ask for? i was 2 for 2 tonite, im in a good mood.

Comment

Broner looked like TEN million bucks tonight. . . He's unstoppable at 130, although that division is the weakest in boxing. . . I REALLY want to see him at lightweight!

Alexander FINALLY sitting down on his punches in the pocket. . . Transitioning from standing in the pocket, to shooting the 1-2's and 2-hook's from the outside. . . 147 definitely helped him out. . . While the move up HURT Maidana - he didn't carry his punch, and didn't gain any stamina or punch resistance.

Comment

the night was ruined.....

Comment

GBP gonna try getting that other ww title into the hands of Malignaggi, then pass it onto Alexander or other fellow stablemate. Broner needs to find better opposition to test himself.

Comment

Alexander win almost all the rounds tonight he liked like his old self.

Comment

the whole fight i was just waiting for maidana to knockout alexander with one punch and it just wouldn't come, i was soo frustrated with that performance

im still not convinced with alexander's performance, yea he looked pretty damn good, but its clear that the weight effected maidana, maidana looked completely drained after the 5th round....that wasn't really maidana, that was someone fighting in a place where he souldn't be, and i think everyone would agree that at 140, maidana utterly destroys alexander

alexander fought someone who doesn't belong in the welterweight division, he's gonna fight others who do, and he's gonna be in for a rude awaking, for one thing the ppl who do belong at welterweight are gonna be able to take alexander's punches, they're not gonna run outta gas after 5 rounds, and their punches are gonna hurt alexander, mark my words

Comment

I dont really favor either Alexander or Maidana, but I was expecting a vicious battle. But the pace of the fight was frustrating to watch. Any time Alexander would throw a punch or two he would immediately clench. It's such a chicken way to box and even Lederman brought it up. He could easily stand and punch with Maidana and he actually did it a few times and would win the scrap. By the end of the fight Maidana was gassed and Alexander was opening up. I would have liked to see more of that the entire fight.

Comment

Broner is the future.

Bow down minions.

Comment

Working...
                    X