Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Watch this video, this guy knows his stuff!

Comment

Heres one for handspeed too

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
        It's mostly mental partly physical.

It's not about hitting a target, but going through the target. Some guys naturally understand that concept while others don't. Some put themselves in a position to hit the target, others put themselves in a position to punch through the target. Speed, leverage, precision, and committing to the punch all play equal part. Too many guys I know are just satisfied with hitting something accurately instead of blowing through it. They're afraid of over committing.

My sifu always told me that guys with strong back muscles have real KO power if they knew how to use it properly.
        Are you a boxer or martial artist?

Comment

There really isn’t any “magic” formula. It’s physical training, development of technique, and natural ability based on one’s genetics. The overall combination and differing levels of each determine your punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post

Heres one for handspeed too
            Preach on brother. All this time, I've been using 5 lb. dumbbells for speed.

Comment

I think it's something you're born with. Some guys I know that are natural athletes and are very strong for some reason just can't punch for ****.

I've been a big puncher since I can remember. I've been punching everything since I was a little kid. Walls, pillows, curtains, leaves from a tree, my shadow, anything I can hit without getting In trouble. before I ever went to a gym or got a bag, I would put my mattress on the Wall and hit that for hours.

Punching just feels right to me and I know how to use my body's maximum leverage and momentum to put all my weight into a punch, it's just something I do without thinking.
              Completely agree. I've always just been a "natural" puncher myself. It can't be explained. I just somehow figured it out early on, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                Are you a boxer or martial artist?
                Both? Boxing is a sport inside the ring and a martial art outside the ring.

I did practice a lot of Wing Chun back in the day before I started Western Boxing.

A lot of the principles of generating power are similar or the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                  He means full extension of the arms with the ability to pivot the feet. Also some fighters use their legs to punch they basically put all their weight let say on the back foot than let off a right hand or when they hook they'll plant their weight on the front leg and un leash their hook. Some people are also just born with heavy hands I think it has to do with thick bones or people with wide shoulders except for Bradley though. Than you have some people thin as a stick but they have long arms coupled with speed can create great pop like Tommy Hearns
                  =God of War! his balance and power is amazing, he uses his leg and arm power well.

Comment

Who here actually has experience punching? Genetics can kiss my ass.

Belief in your strength, bad intentions, dedication and perseverance to your training will eventually bring you to your peak punching power if you haven't found it.

Comment

Originally posted by x2sasa View Post
                      =God of War! his balance and power is amazing, he uses his leg and arm power well.

Another good example is Canelo. His punching form is quite impressive. He's a good example of a strong puncher who gets a lot of leverage (though I'm not sure he's particularly "heavy" handed as a Pavlik type guy). GGG on the other hand seems like a heavy handed fighter who also has great leverage. As does Nonito.

Comment

Working...
                      X