No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao: "Not at 150. Not Even At 149 or 148. I Want Cotto At 147"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao: "Not at 150. Not Even At 149 or 148. I Want Cotto At 147"

MANILA, Philippines — After learning a painful lesson in a weight class that doesn’t suit his body, Manny Pacquiao will demand that his next fight — very likely against Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico on June 9 — would be at the welterweight limit of 147 lbs.

“It’s hard for me to fight at a higher weight class,” Pacquiao told the Bulletin when asked whether a rematch with Cotto can still be made.

Not at 150 lbs, said Pacquiao. Not even at 149 or 148 lbs.

Cotto’s name has emerged as Pacquiao’s solid backup plan in the event his promoter Bob Arum cannot salvage a megabuck match with Floyd Mayweather.

Arum is now back in Las Vegas and tasked to do anything possible to strike a deal for a Mayweather fight on the request of Pacquiao.

During a recent visit to Mexico, Cotto was interviewed by the local press there and asked about his plans, and the shaven-skulled puncher admitted that there are offers on the table.

“Right now we are listening to offers and see what’s the best for us,” said Cotto, who had lost on a 12th-round stoppage to Pacquiao in November, 2009, at a catch weight of 145 lbs.

Saying that he is “willing to face the big names,” Cotto said he is open to a second clash with the Filipino or a showdown with Mayweather.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/348166...-cotto-147-lbs

Just fight Mayweather, Cotto. There is no point of a rematch if it takes place at 147.

I don't see where Pacquiao specifically used Cotto's name, though.

Comment

lol Pacquiao's a punk

Comment

Originally posted by jcpryor View Post
        I don't see where Pacquiao specifically used Cotto's name, though.
        They asked him about a fight with Cotto and that is his answer. Cotto is the only fighter that is being consider who fights above 147 so is clearly him.

Comment

All manny said is that it's tough for him to fight at a higher weight class. The rest seems like it's paper talk otherwise it would be speech marked. I'm just hoping patiently waiting for the manny v Floyd fight to happen

Comment

the only way that fight would be remotely interesting would be if it was held @ 154......

I really don't want to see it at anyweight lower than 150
            Last edited by LeG00N; 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

You right on the spot Manny. You already gave so much size advantages to your opponents. You should go back to 140 and nobody will beat you there.

Comment

Why would you rematch someone when you dominated them in the first fight? What's the point? Are Top Rank really that cynical?

Comment

This guy has become a walking embarrassment of the sport of boxing he has no shame whatsoever. A rematch with cotto @154 is still a bitch move @147 is just fucking disgraceful.

Comment

Before I even spotted this thread, I commented on a thread started by 4CornersKid about Bradley-Pac happening before May-Pac does. In that thread, I concluded my post by saying that Cotto looked comfortable at 150 so I'd bet they would want him to go lower, and what do you know? As soon as I look, here's a thread that just solidified exactly what I just predicted. This is an outrage! If I hear anything else about this joker being P4P king, I'm going to spit my soda out in laughter. Duck Floyd to drag Cotto down to a weight he wouldn't even fight him at to begin with. *******s and Top Rank kool aid drinkers can support this garbage if they choose to. Just do the world of boxing a favor and cut all that talk about Mayweather right on out. It's pointless. Manny won't fight Floyd. He won't even fight someone on even terms. I can't wait for Bob Arum to croak. I can't wait for catchweight king to fall all the way into politics and leave boxing to the real fighters who are willing to be involved in real fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X