Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The British Empire at its peak... Where does it rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominant in a much more competitive era than the other empires, and invented America.

Pretty up there imo

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      Agree completely man. . . So very true. .

Are there any movies (fictional is fine too!), or documentaries about the East India Trading Company?
      errrrm... Carry on up the Khyber

I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        Dominant in a much more competitive era than the other empires, and invented America.

Pretty up there imo

I agree. They basically had the other dominant powers of the time as their neighbors: France, Portugal, Spain, the Dutch. . .

England settled Canada, and USA; Spain colonized, and settled from Mexico, through South America. Portugal got Brazil. . .

England also spread out to the far corners of the globe: Australia, etc.

WHen I lived in Pakistan, the British influence was obvious; especially in a lot of their infrastructure, and buildings.

The main aspect, I'd say, is how English is pretty much the only universal language. Lol, the French are still a little salty about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
          errrrm... Carry on up the Khyber

I don't know.
          Lol, aight. . I'll have a gander into it.

Comment

Actually Pug, Jeremy Paxman did a series of BBC documentaries on the Empire earlier in the year. I think one of the eps focused quite a bit on the East India Company. They're on youtube I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post

Pretty up there imo

can we take a second to reflect on the condition of the hitman?

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                Actually Pug, Jeremy Paxman did a series of BBC documentaries on the Empire earlier in the year. I think one of the eps focused quite a bit on the East India Company. They're on youtube I think.
                Sweet! Just found it on youtube! Thanks mate.

Going to watch this later tonight. . .

THis it? Looks like a 5 part series, one hour each. . Nice!

Comment

Sweet! Just found it on youtube! Thanks mate.

Going to watch this later tonight. . .

THis it? Looks like a 5 part series, one hour each. . Nice!
                  Yeah it's a 5 parter. And since it's BBC, no commercials.

Comment

It was the largest empire ever covered nearly a quarter of the globe ruled over nearly a quarter of the population.

Had Largest most powerful navy, bigger then the next three opposing navies combined.

Language, Law, home of the industrial revolution.

Just off the top of my head also had bad points as did every empire but yeah it's probably the greatest of all the empires second only to maybe the Romans.

Comment

Obviously you are biased. Germany did either completely take over, or partially occupy a lot of inland Europe during WW2.

You are too emotional to discuss this with; like little girl!

I'm interested in discussing this with people who are not inherently biased against a culture, or a country for whatever reasons. You bear some sort of hate, or dislike towards the British Empire.
                      Care to explain what WW2 has to do with the British Empire or that era? When you stated they had never been conquered i didn't correct you because i assumed you were talking about that specific era. Seems that you're just cherry picking whatever fits your assertion instead.

When you brought up Germany i even helped your weak argument by bringing up their success in a earlier era 3 C.E. - 8 C.E. which was their most successful and influential period but also noted that if you're going to be bringing that earlier period up then the Angles and Saxons along with the Normans would obviously have to be included in relation to England.

As for your personal remark its amusing and ironic considering that you never cease with your constant attention whoring posting pics and vids and whetever else you do to aquire attention on here, lets not FORGET YOUR CONSTANT CAPS. The only poster that is as feminine with their behaviour on here is Boss Lady.
                      Last edited by Mikhnienko; 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X